PDA

View Full Version : High mileage & DASC?

2ndBimmer
02-05-2004, 07:24 AM
I know I want more speed (more acceleration to be more precise) and the Downing Atlanta Super Charger is surely a dream for me but I wonder... would it be wise to put it on a car with 120,000 miles?

BMW engine are built like tanks, but nonetheless...

I also drive 18000+ miles a year, which is why Im considering purchasing another car in the next year or so: an Mcoupe if I can find one ( :D ), or maybe a 330Ci. This car would be the fairweather and the Ti would be the foulweather. So if this happened and I got a 2nd car... the Ti's miles would drop to about 8000 per year.

Even at half milage, Id like more power for those 5 months of the year as well.

Just thinking ahead and trying to plan right.

J!m
02-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Why not grab my engine (60K miles) and add the blower to that? Then, when ready you will be down a day to just swap them out.

Or, put the blower on your motor and when it grenades, pick up mine then.

Important to remember- buy my engine! (just joking, but it is for sale...)

2ndBimmer
02-06-2004, 12:19 AM
and what might that engine be worth? $?

bimmerboi318
02-06-2004, 02:53 AM
i have 101k miles and have been thinking the same thing. i wouldnt worry too much about the bottom end of the motor im pretty sure it can take it. but while the intake manifold is off i am going to pull the head and replace the head gasket and while thats all off i may as well have the head checked and machined if needed. another thing to do while thats all off is to have the valves and valve seats ground so they are fresh. depending on whether you do your own work or not it could be cheap or it could be really expensive. im going to do everything besides the machining and i may even do that while im at school (good little project). soo all in all it may be better to buy j!m's motor. im not saying all of that has to be done to do the supercharger, but its just a good habbit to do with higher milage since its apart already.

one more thing....is there a thicker head gasket available to lower the compression or would it not even be worth it. i know most turbo/supercharged cars run lower compression so they can stand up to more boost.

318tibimmer
02-06-2004, 08:06 AM
I just posted a topic looking at the same thing, one person has put in a reply and they said goto http://www.racetep.com/ - When lookin there they can do any compression pistions that you want. Start arround $650ish for the Set of 4. You dont' get a different head gasket you just get different pistions.

Blueiii
02-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike a typical domestic motor, the motor in your BMW is built VERY strong. Unless you have ticking problems / pinging / etc etc etc - the motor should be good.

Slap that DASC on there and GO!

You will likely be replacing the clutch, so keep some money back for that since the extra power will eat the little clutch for breakfast, but if nothing else you'll feel when its going out.

2ndBimmer
02-07-2004, 10:53 PM
I already have a replacement clutch which will be put in, likely, by summer.