PDA

View Full Version : 318TI : I want one!

Minus
02-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi, I have been searching for some additional information on the 318ti and am hoping you can help me. Right now iv got a Porsche 924 which I want to sell for something a little more refined and spacious. How reliable is the 318TI? How complex is the injection / ignition system (can it be serviced without expensive electronic tools)? As an owner are you satisfied with your 318ti?

96cali
02-20-2004, 06:22 PM
You are asking the converted! :)

In a nutshell I think you will find the ti a "drivers car". While not having monster power in stock form, it handles very well and is fun for most people. You can actually use all the power in normal driving. The engine is known to be rock solid with scheduled maintenance till 150K-200K. Most people tweak the suspension, intake and exhaust as software yeilds minimal gains. Supercharging will take you to around 200hp for $3.5K. Rust is not an issue yet for most. Other than scheduled stuff I can think of only one repair that cost around $250. Mine has 54K now.

The ti is a bit of a mutt (or bastard) but loved by most when they own them and missed when sold. I've had mine for about 2 years and look forward to driving her every morning. That's the bottom line to me.

As far as buying, be patient and find the right one for you. I love my california roof, but should have waited for one with the M-package as well to not ber lusting after so many mods.

Minus
02-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Your not helping here, it seems like a better idea all the time. I would need to sell my car to afford one though. What is your average price for a well maintained earleir (1995-96) model 318ti? I see them ranging on the board from 6-10K US for a 98 models. I don't know if anyone here lives in BC but people here try to sell used cars at ludicrist prices. The only 318ti locally (that i have seen so far is) 16000 CDN for a 1995.

1996 328ti
02-21-2004, 02:26 AM
Prices really vary in the US. California still gets a lot while I see them lower elsewhere.

With a ti you need to decide what year.
95 and 96 are slightly different. Main difference is OBD-i vs OBD-II.

Personally I only like the looks of the sport. Seats and suspension is a little better too. That is the one with the M-Technic trim. In 95 there was only the Club Sport but in 96 all Sports had the M-Technic trim.

I don't know what is involved in purchasing a US car though. Be patient. I'm on my 2nd ti. I also have a new MINI which is a lot of fun too, but there is something about the ti that I just love.

caffeinekid
02-21-2004, 11:42 PM
I've been EXTREMELY satisfied with my 96' ti. I have over 110k on mine with no real service history aside from a seatbelt sensor, shifter knob, pwr window lift asm and the occasional in-warranty brake rotor replacement. The e36 series apparently have an issue with stock rotors warping.

I am currently waiting on my new california roof asm and slipstream net which set me back a little under $1000.00 but this can be expected after 110k miles and 7yrs and the california top is second only to topless.

The car still turns heads (young, pretty ones too ;}) and drives like a dream. If you do decide on one, I would recommend keeping the tires at more than 75% considering the light, bulky rear-end. If you don't, the wind & rain can definitely play games with you.

tastade
04-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Hi, I have been searching for some additional information on the 318ti and am hoping you can help me. Right now iv got a Porsche 924 which I want to sell for something a little more refined and spacious. How reliable is the 318TI? How complex is the injection / ignition system (can it be serviced without expensive electronic tools)? As an owner are you satisfied with your 318ti?

I am 6 ft with a large frame, i tried sitting in a 944 and didn't fit. My knees rubbed on th steering wheel and my head on the roof. My ti is supprisingly spacious, I fit just fine. Service is fairly typical of any compact car, just slightly more expensive parts. If you work on cars yourself, the 4 cylinder engine is small, so there is lots of space around the engine to work.

I bought a 95 Club Sport 5 speed with 115k miles last year for $7500, I have put 7000 miles on it with no trouble. That was a tad on the high side, but it was exactly the car I was looking for. I had to have the Limited Slip Differential and the sport package, saw the red club sport and I immediately fell in love.