PDA

View Full Version : How To: Replace The Door Outer Weatherstrip

MacUser
12-21-2009, 11:27 PM
How to replace the outer weatherstrip on the door of a 1996 BMW 318ti.
---------------------
You'll need:
1. the new strip
2. plastic body putty spatula
3. rubber mallet
4. about 2 minutes of time

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUEUad4s9DY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUEUad4s9DY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

My 318ti uses part number 51218198053 (left door) and 51218198054 (right door). Check at realoem.com to verify yours uses the same part. My purchased mine at GetBMWparts.com for $27.42 each plus shipping.

MacUser
12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Not sure why two copies of video are showing up. I've tried editing the html in the "embed" box on YouTube to no avail.

Any ideas???

cooljess76
12-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Not sure why two copies of video are showing up. I've tried editing the html in the "embed" box on YouTube to no avail.

Any ideas???

Nice, as for embeding, just cut and paste the embed'd code, highlight it and click on the "wrap youtube" tags button on the top of the message box.

MacUser
12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Nice, as for embeding, just cut and paste the embed'd code, highlight it and click on the "wrap youtube" tags button on the top of the message box.

I've tried that repeatedly ... with three different browsers (Chrome, Safari, & Firefox ... same result each time.

cooljess76
12-21-2009, 11:54 PM
You're right, I tried it and it does the same thing. There must be a problem in the code.

713bmw318ti
12-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I really need to do this on my Ti. Does the weatherstrip have an adhesive on it? It looks easy im going to have to do this next month.

MacUser
12-22-2009, 07:07 AM
There is a short piece of adhesive at the rearmost portion, where the metal clip is. I really should have cleaned the corresponding area of the door, but I was in a hurry and forgot. I had just received the shipment and I went home at lunchtime to install it ... I don't normally wear a tie and cuff links when working on my cars. Nevertheless, it's firmly adhered ... so far. And if it doesn't last, it'll be that much easier to replace when I pay another $30 and re-replace it! There's a metal ridge that the grooved bottom of the strip fits onto.

projekt EPiK
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
you dont get much easier to replace than doing it in a tie and cufflinks. thanks for the excellent how to.

MacUser
12-31-2009, 04:05 AM
you dont get much easier to replace than doing it in a tie and cufflinks. thanks for the excellent how to.

You don't have to wear a tie and cufflinks to install the weatherstrip, but I did! I got the package from Tischer BMW at work right before noon. I wanted to install it, so I drove home. If I took the time to change (then change back), I wouldn't have had time to film and install it.

I installed a window regulator tonight ... THAT'S an old clothes job!

Rich
05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the video. I've replaced mine and a few other seals today.

Just a note when I took the old seals off; at the end of the seal (the end with the adhesive but a the back of the door) there is a little metal hook. This had worn through the paint. I touched this up before installing the new seal. Its was only a tiny bit of rust so probably wouldn't cause any trouble. But I figure why not, didn't take long to sort out.

Ralliart10
03-31-2011, 02:43 AM
whats the part# for the weather strip from inside the window?