PDA

View Full Version : Major Guage Cluster Problem - Help

318tibimmer
02-21-2004, 04:10 AM
Hey, ok so I installed a new sterio yesterday, I have been running arround all day today no problem, then tonight when I was driving home all of a sudden my gas needle went to empty like the car was off empty and the temp needle did the same thing. the Tac and the MPH were fine, then when I steped on the brake the temp needle would kinda flutter around and then go back to normal then when I start going again it would go back down. When I was sitting still if I reved the engin the Gas needle would flutter around and then go up and down. when I would start going again it would stay there for a while and then all of a sudden goto 0 again. I have no idea, only thing I can thing of is that there is something shorting out but I don't know what, and why would it work all day with no problems and then just start tonight? Help Please !!!!

1996 328ti
02-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Someone had the same problem on the ti list. I think it was a dirty brake bulb socket. If not I'd have to go look at some old messages.

Budget M3
02-21-2004, 04:25 AM
You might have pinched a wire or two. Depending on the physical size of the stereo, it can get pretty tight under the ti dash which leaves little room for all the wires. Try pulling the head unit out of the dash and see if it still does has the problem. If the problem is still there, it might be something else. How did you run the power to the stereo? Just a head unit, or did you also install an amp?

318tibimmer
02-21-2004, 04:28 AM
just the head unit I was having a hell of a time getting it in there just because of all the wires. So, I am planning on poping it out again tonight just to see.

318tibimmer
02-21-2004, 04:52 AM
OK, problem fixed - If anyone has this problem, look at fuse 46 - It is a 15AMP fuse and mine was blown, when checking at what it did, it is part of many systems in the car obviously the guages is one of them, thanks for your advice Budget M3

J!m
02-28-2004, 12:41 AM
I was going to mention that the E36 cluster is notorious for failure. (my current M3 cluster is not working).

Glad you fixed it for under $300.00...