PDA

View Full Version : Is it the starter????

Nitekrrawler
02-25-2004, 07:52 AM
This morning my baby wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over, but I heard the click-ckick-ckickity-click-click as it just wouldn't start. The radio and lights came on, but I did notice the windows moving a little slower-but then again, it could've just been my imagination. Any thoughts? Also, what am I looking at $$$$-wise??? Thanks!

-Tiger

2ndBimmer
02-25-2004, 08:31 AM
How old is the battery?
Might it have enough juice to power the electrics but not crank the starter?

bimmerboi318
02-25-2004, 04:33 PM
sounds like a battery issue. either have it tested or just plain replace it. also check that the battery cable clamps are tightened down nice and snug. a loose clamp can prevent enough current to flow for the starter, but still enough for the rest of the electronics. however, it still sounds like you need a battery since the windows are slow.

Nitekrrawler
02-26-2004, 11:37 AM
You guyz were right! Twas the battery!! Vanna, tell them what they won!
Thanks guyz for all yur help.

-Tiger

2ndBimmer
02-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Good, keep it cheap. Replace battery >good> replace starter.
so $100 instead of god knows what...

bimmerboi318
02-27-2004, 02:48 AM
glad to hear it! most problems like that are battery issues. especially in this cold weather.

yeehawbob
09-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Guys! Where is the starter located and is it easy to get to it to replace it by your self??????

Please see if some one can post pic's.

Looks like the starter is a common problem, but The same thing happened to me yesterday and here is what I tried, as suggested by another member.
Press the clutch, then the GAS. Keep them Pressed and try to start and it, after 5-6 clicks it does and then you do not have a problem.

My battery although 3 years old still is good, I had it checked today at Sears.

Thanks

robcarync
09-26-2004, 03:16 PM
yeah, i need to know where the starter is too...my battery is good too but its having trouble starting. my pops is convinced its the starter so it looks like we are going to replace it next weekend or so.

so yeah i would appreciate being informed of the location of the starter too