PDA

View Full Version : squeaking brakes

bmw318tiChic
03-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi, I changed my rear brake pads about a week ago. They were squeaking before the change, and pretty well worn. When I took them off, I realized that they had worn unevenly, so I don't know whats up with that. Also, my brakes are still squeaking. When I bought the brakes, some anti squeal compound was applied, but I didnt actually put the brakes on until about 2 weeks later. Would the antisqueal compound have worn off? It looked like it was still on there. So basically, my question is, why are my brakes still squeaking? It sounds like its coming from the rear, so I don't think its the front. And, is there any reason my pads could have worn unevenly?

1996 328ti
03-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Could be a few things.
The calipers may need to be rebuilt.
One of the guide pins may be binding a little. Use caliper lube.
File the edges of the leading and trailing edges of the pads slightly.

motorsport
08-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Have the rotors machined, they are probably glassy as hell.

tastade
08-24-2004, 04:22 PM
I find just washing my car once a week (and getting the wheels really well) eliminates my squealling.

edit: this didn't work for long

first_bmw
06-07-2006, 03:04 PM
I know this is an old thread, But I am here to revive it with a new question:

My brakes use to squeak bad (in the front) So I changed my pads and could bee my rotors were bad, almost out of Spec. But I changed just the pads anyways. The squeal started 2 days later again.

I Parked the car for 6mo. and recently changed the Pads and rotors in the front... And guess what ?! My frikken brakes still squeal

But They NEVER squeak when I first drive the car, Its like after 10 or 20 minutes they squeal.... Almost as if after they warm up. any ideas ?!?

Thanks, it makes my car sound like Ghetto.

tastade
06-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Mine did that too, I thought the washing helped as stated above, but it didn't help for long. What did help for me was replacing both the pads and rotors at all 4 wheels. And like yours, mine would only squeak after driving 10 or 20 minutes and the ambient temperature was above 50 or 60 degrees F. They wouldn't squeal when it was cold. Temperature related. My squealing went away when I switched to OEM rear rotors, brembo OEM front rotors, and Hawk HPS pads.

Try the tips of filing the leading and trailing edge of the pad slightly (I notice my HPS pads came this way), apply loads of anti squeal to the backing of the pad, lube all the guide pins, etc. I think what really caused my squealing to go away was the brake pads. Some brake pads just squeal. And to add, make sure you burnish the rotors. This involves some hard braking over several stops from varying speeds, then let them cool sufficiently.

I know what you mean about the Ghetto noise, I was actually embarressed to drive when there were people walking around. It was loud.

jcthewizz
01-15-2007, 01:02 AM
About a month ago I replaced my brake rotors and pads becuase they had started to squeal. within a few days they started again, but like someone said above, only after they have warmed up after a few brakings at stoplights ect.
so this weekend i got rotor cleaner, guide pin lube and anti-squeal adhesive for the pads. Still have the same squealing problem after applying all three items.
any suggestions about my next move?
Thanks.

aceyx
01-15-2007, 02:48 AM
What pads did you install?

Squeal is generally from brake dust vibrating on various surfaces near the pads. Get in there with an air hose and blast out what you can, make sure you wear a respirator and eye protection.

Fred
01-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Brake squeal is also caused by slight vibrations in the brake pad and pad compound. Like tastade said, you'll want to apply an anti-squeal compound to the back of the brake pad on the parts where it touches the caliper. You'll also want to lube the pad edges where it rests on the caliper bracket. This helps eliminate squeal on most pads.

1996 328ti
01-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Also filing the edges down sometimes helps.
Oh wait. I said almost 3 years ago in this thread!

iqvkucuh
01-15-2007, 04:15 AM
watch your car and wheels, and put oil on it...
it helps alot...

jcthewizz
01-15-2007, 02:17 PM
I put on mintex pads, the fronts (which I am 99 percent sure are the ones squealing) were already filed down.