PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new member here

Bill Strong
03-20-2004, 03:49 AM
Hello, my name is Bill Strong. I run the Toyota MR2 Owners Club. I have all kinds of special MR2s including the first V8 MR2 using a Northstar engine.

Well tonight my wife and I traded our extra SUV for something a bit more fun. A 1998 318i. Sweet car... 57,000 miles. Black and a 5 speed.

I am going to spend some time doing some searching here, Aimee and I jusr wanted to introduce ourselves and say hello.

I know there is quite a large BMW club in Charlottesville, and hope to meet up soon with them. I know that some of them come out to our MR2 meets we have locally.

1996 328ti
03-20-2004, 04:03 AM
I'm sure your MR2s are fun, but the ti is a lot of fun also. You'll be surprised how much stuff you can fit in it. It's a great car to toss around.

Welcome to the board.

Bill Strong
03-20-2004, 04:23 AM
Ya, I can't wait. I actually live out in the boonies. We actually hold some really good MR2 meets out here due to the roads.
On the way home tonight I let her open up a bit. I bought it from a BMW dealer, but tomorrow I'll do a quick once over on the car.

The car is very neutral. I like that. It is totally stock and unmolested.

One questing I do have, is that it has the M emblem on the front fender. I am wondering what this means.

anyone?

1996 328ti
03-20-2004, 04:39 AM
It's a Sport model.
///M is for Motorsport.
it is usually associated with an M3, M5, M6.

For our cars it means, tighter suspension,sport seats M-technic trim. The front bumper cover is from the M3 luxury edition and the rear has a black valence like an M3.

Phil Marx
03-20-2004, 04:41 AM
You must have bought the Sport Package 318ti from Crown Charlottesville BMW. Did they ever find the rear shelf that's supposed to cover the trunk area? The "M" is for BMW Motorsport and indicates the Sport Package which has M-Tech front and rear bumper covers. sport seats, 16" 5-spoke wheels, sport suspension, and some special interior features including the cloth and leather upholstery.

Join BMW CCA (www.bmwcca.org) and you will automatically become a member of the local chapter.

-Phil

Bill Strong
03-20-2004, 05:14 AM
cool... No shelf cover, I will talk to them about that tomorrow.

Yes that was the car at Crown. The paint is a bit rough, not bad, a small rip in the drivers seat leather. Luckily I have lots of friends in the "biz" that can fix this stuff for me

My wife is so stoked over this. She has always wanted a BMW, her father is a die hard GM man, so it will be an interesting day when he see's the car. This is my second BMW 3 series.

so where can I buy a big ricer wing?

just kidding... I really am kidding :)

1996 328ti
03-20-2004, 05:28 AM
It's pretty normal for the side bolster of the seat to tear. If it makes your father-in-law any happier, I do believe BMW uses GM trannys in some of their models.

Phil Marx
03-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Sorry, this list seems pre-occupied only with small M5-style wings for Acuras! :D
But seriously, check my photo section for the rear wing on my car. I'm in Charlottesville, too, and just bought my ti last month. Not a sport package but nice enough for my daughters.

If you paid close to Crown's price on the ti they at least owe you a cover! Probably sitting in the clean-up bay somewhere. Love your Northstar MR2! You must really be whacked! Welcome aboard.

Bill Strong
03-20-2004, 05:39 AM
Cool, I live out by Kluge. So the ride is nice.
We paid under what they wanted, but I did not do any research on this car. I always do research. But hell it is only money, the wife is happy, and I have something to drive everyday other than my Dakota!
Crown was one of the best dealerships I have ever been to. Just 20 minutes before I was at Brown Dodge trying to get my fuel gauge and radio fixed. They told me they could not get the gauge fixed in the 2 days they had the truck, but were able to get the new radio in... well I was really surprised when i turned the radio on and they had programmed all my stations for me... I thought that was cool, until I realized they had done NOTHING because the CD player still did not work. I was so pissed that I made myself happy by buying a 318ti. :)

So monday I get to tear into Brown Dodge... I suggest staying away from them, but I really like Crown. Nice guys, and I was the first sale to the sales man.

Phil Marx
03-20-2004, 05:47 AM
Cool, so you broke the new saleman's cherry! He'll do anything for you!

The guys at Crown do seem to try hard. I've known one of the mechanics for nearly 30 years. The parts guys are good, too, and they discount 20% to BMW Car Club members, though it may be from a slightly inflated list price. :twisted:

Brown I generally avoid but one parts guy used to work for me and helps me out with my Toyota pickup and Plymouth Voyager parts.

The president of the local BMW CCA chapter lives nearby in Keswick.

If you need any help, holler!

schussey
03-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Sorry, this list seems pre-occupied only with small M5-style wings for Acuras! :D

heh :lol:

2ndBimmer
03-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Welcome!

mrnine
03-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Welcome, Bill...

Y'know, I almost drove to Charlottesville to check that one out. The price scared me away too, though they said they would negotiate. The guy I emailed with made me believe that their dealership was probably a good one.

I'm a 318ti M-sport owner now for all of a week and still can't wipe the grin off my face. You've found the right place with this group, as everyone's been very helpful to me.

Phil, got 2 new Viper remotes today programmed to my alarm. I'm "chirp chirping" away. Whee!

Enjoy your Ti, Bill!!!