PDA

View Full Version : Best oil: Royal Purple?

dominguezh
03-22-2004, 05:27 PM
I have always been a fan of Mobil 1. However, my local BMW master mechanic, who opened his own shop a year ago close to my place, said that a sales guy from a product called Royal Purple stopped by his shop to do a demo of the oils out there. He said that the sales guy had him perform frictioin tests using different oils. The results said that Mobil 1 is inferior to BMWs synth oil and Royal Purple being the best of all.

Have you guys heard anything about this product? This guy has all three oils in stock so I know he is not trying to sell me the product, same price. He said he switched all his cars to this oil. Thoughts?

Hector

Panzer_M
03-22-2004, 06:17 PM
I use Mobil 1

2ndBimmer
03-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Im curious, but I use Castrol.

beamteam
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Royal Purps a great racing oil and you will get better gas mileage with it as well. with that being said it will not last as long as mobile 1 i would recommend changing it every 2k miles because i noticed it breaks down faster then most oils. well worth the money though if you want great oil performance. and its purple oil=)

i say its worth a try. especially if u hit the track

Mr.Squeelerz
12-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I have always been a fan of Mobil 1. However, my local BMW master mechanic, who opened his own shop a year ago close to my place, said that a sales guy from a product called Royal Purple stopped by his shop to do a demo of the oils out there. He said that the sales guy had him perform frictioin tests using different oils. The results said that Mobil 1 is inferior to BMWs synth oil and Royal Purple being the best of all.

Have you guys heard anything about this product? This guy has all three oils in stock so I know he is not trying to sell me the product, same price. He said he switched all his cars to this oil. Thoughts?

Hector

I wonder why he said that^^^?:rolleyes:

I prefer Amsoil and Mobil 1

tiFreak
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I use Castrol Edge, if it's good enough for BMW to rebrand as their own, it's good enough for me

cooljess76
12-26-2011, 11:28 PM
7 year old thread bumped by a spammer.

tiFreak
12-26-2011, 11:32 PM
goddamn, and I fell for it too :redface:

cooljess76
12-26-2011, 11:56 PM
goddamn, and I fell for it too :redface:

I almost did too:tongue: I was looking for that gear oil discussion so I could find the link to that Amsoil study where they tested several brands and Royal Purp was one of the worst:biggrin:

Mr.Squeelerz
12-27-2011, 12:05 AM
*bleep*:redface:

spidertri
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I almost did too:tongue: I was looking for that gear oil discussion so I could find the link to that Amsoil study where they tested several brands and Royal Purp was one of the worst:biggrin:

Interestingly, I was running Amsoil in my LSD diff and it was making a lot of really nasty scraping noises. I tried doing figure 8s but couldn't get the noise to go away. Finally pulled the cover to look at the damage and there was none. Fluid just had a good bit of clutch dust in it. So I refilled with Mobil 1 and the noise has been gone since. So Amsoil may not be all it is hyped up to be.

cooljess76
12-27-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm using Mobil1 also. If you're running a LSD, you need to use the Mobil1 with Limited Slip additive. Perhaps the Amsoil didn't have the additive? Anyway, I realize this thread is about engine oil, personally I wouldn't use anything other than Castrol or Mobil1 in my engine.

slow_ti
12-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey Jess, my diff has been acting up a little bit and can sometimes act as a open diff (pretty rare) and my diff has been upgraded to 40 or so percent lock up.. and it does make some noise and I'm using royal purple. Should I switch to mobile 1?

cooljess76
12-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Hey Jess, my diff has been acting up a little bit and can sometimes act as a open diff (pretty rare) and my diff has been upgraded to 40 or so percent lock up.. and it does make some noise and I'm using royal purple. Should I switch to mobile 1?

Honestly I don't know. You modified your diff by adding an extra clutch plate right? Perhaps the backlash or bearing load wasn't set properly? Did you apply compound to the ring gear, spin it by hand and inspect the tooth contact pattern left by the compound? When you upgrade to LSD, you should always add a friction additive to the lubricant IF the gear oil you're using doesn't already state it has it.

1996 328ti
12-27-2011, 08:39 PM
My diff (Quaife) is starting to chirp on tight turns.
I was told by diffsonline to change to a different viscosity.

spidertri
12-28-2011, 12:42 AM
The amsoil I used was the 75w-110 and it had the limited slip additive, so does the mobil 1 (75w-90) I replaced it with. Maybe the viscosity was the biggest difference? The amsoil was in my diff for about 6 months and having the mobil 1 in there for about a month now, no issues at all.

Everything I have read about Royal Purple has indicated that it is garbage. The people who used Royal Purple in their '95 M3 LSD had the ring gear bolts back out. I've heard that race teams sponsored by RP don't actually use it, they will use M1 or something else.

cooljess76
12-28-2011, 12:49 AM
The amsoil I used was the 75w-110 and it had the limited slip additive, so does the mobil 1 (75w-90) I replaced it with. Maybe the viscosity was the biggest difference? The amsoil was in my diff for about 6 months and having the mobil 1 in there for about a month now, no issues at all.

Everything I have read about Royal Purple has indicated that it is garbage. The people who used Royal Purple in their '95 M3 LSD had the ring bolts back out. I've heard that race teams sponsored by RP don't actually use it, they will use M1 or something else.

Good info Dave! That's funny about the race teams using different oil, lol.

slow_ti
12-28-2011, 01:31 AM
I think the royal purple is 75w-90 should I go lower than that with my modded diff?

cooljess76
12-28-2011, 01:37 AM
I think the royal purple is 75w-90 should I go lower than that with my modded diff?

Try Mobil1 75w-90 with LS additive. It worked for Spidertri, but your noise is probably a different issue than he had. You can't just rip a diff apart and slap it back together. If you didn't build it right ie; shim it, set the backlash, preload bearings, check contact pattern etc, it's gonna be noisy and fail prematurely.

slow_ti
12-28-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm pretty sure it's fine haha

cooljess76
12-28-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it's fine haha

Ok cool, I'd try the Mobil1 75w 90 then.

slow_ti
12-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Thanks Jess!

dahamler
12-29-2011, 01:24 AM
I bought RP by the 5 gallon jugs for years. Now my local wal-mart sells mobil1 at $23.00 for 5 quarts. I'm testing it on my F150 but I know that my BMWs idles better with the RP I've tried Castrol, Mobil1, RP, BMW oil and LubroMoly .

jca
12-29-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm using Mobil1 also. If you're running a LSD, you need to use the Mobil1 with Limited Slip additive. Perhaps the Amsoil didn't have the additive? Anyway, I realize this thread is about engine oil, personally I wouldn't use anything other than Castrol or Mobil1 in my engine.

On the advise of someone whose opinion I trust, I switched recently from Castrol 10-40 conventional oil to Mobile 1, same weight, I think they brand it, "High Mileage". My friend said that I might feel a difference in performance, smoothness, and such. He was right. The engine feels smoother on acceleration.

BimmerBum
12-29-2011, 07:42 AM
I recently switched the engine oil in all my cars from MB1 to Red Line. MB1 used to have a higher rating than it does now and as I recall it does not currently meet BMW specs. I like to stay consistent with the brand and weight I use as you never really get all the oil out when you do an oil change so it was a big deal for me to switch. The driving force behind the change was lifter noise in both my wagon and my Z3 after a few autocross runs. The lifter noise went away when I made the switch to Red Line.

Red Line is a little harder to get than most oil out there but I have carried all their oils for a long time and was already using them in the transmissions and differentials of everything I have.

pdxmotorhead
12-29-2011, 05:28 PM
I buy the BMW oil from the dealer.... Its priced competitively (Cheaper than the Castrol labeled bottle) and it seems to work well.

I also take care of a stable of race cars and Royal purple is good oil, but same as Redline you NEED to buy the street oil not the race oil. The street oil is for long life the race oil is for fast cars. It has little detergent and is not good for 12K lie most good synthetics.

Mobile 1 has less pure-base than most of the premium synthetics. But it has a good additive package to make up most of the difference. THey did however jump on the no-zinc bandwagon so it is not a good choice for a lower mileage engine.

Joe Gibbs oil sells a special "off road use only" high zinc/sulphur oil that is for breaking in new cams and engines...

Dave