PDA

View Full Version : Why does my stereo sound so bad?

mrnine
03-23-2004, 10:19 PM
I bought this ti with a JVC 40x4 head unit. It had blown Roqford's 4" in the back, which I replaced with Pioneer 2-ways. It has some Infinity 5 1/4's in the front that all seems to run through an Infinity crossover behind the globebox. Still got the four tweeters in the door and the two in back next to the 4's.

Now, I've found a purple Roqford RCA running through the center console to the rear, but any subwoofer that had been installed had been removed.

The bass response on this system is ABOMINABLE!!! I can't believe how weak it all sounds. I talked to a stereo place and they were more than happy to recommend a JBL 600 watt amp and two subwoofers installed for $900.

PLEASE! I don't need to boom around town, but I do want some good, full sound.

Any recommendations? What does this crossover do anyway? I've had plenty of stereo systems and there's no reason this should sound so bad.

-R

2ndBimmer
03-24-2004, 02:40 AM
I believe the stock system is all Alpine (the head units are anyways), so were all the speakers replaced?
I took a strange approach to adding more bass to my car. 6x9s in the trunk and i keep the rear seats folded down.

writeb
03-24-2004, 05:37 AM
Add a bass tube. I bought a medium sized one in '99 and haven't looked back since. It's great for ambient (and not so quiet), bass response. When I hear a radio without one, it just sounds like something is missing. Dealers can demo it in your car, so you'll see what it sounds like and how it compliments your set up. IMHO it's worth a look.