PDA

View Full Version : Stromung install

bimmerboi318
03-24-2004, 02:54 AM
Well i installed the Stromung i bought from understeer.com. i must say its a tad louder than my ansa. im not so sure about the sound so far. its not broken in yet so i cant say much about the tone. it almost seems a bit "ricey" if i rev it past 4k. hopefully that will go away. otherwise i'll be looking for another system because it's not my style so far. other than that, the install went very smoothly, the fit is nice and bolted up perfectly. and its all stainless steel. so it seems like a nice quality system.

1996 328ti
03-24-2004, 03:14 AM
My Dynamax exhaust is a little loud too. I hate starting the car up early in the morning. :twisted: I also set off car alarms. But WOT, it sounds great. ;}

IMHO the best sounding exhaust is Racing Dynamics. It's quiet at idle yet has a nice burble sound when you blip the throttle. I've only heard it once on a 4 cylinder Z3 I was following.

montjuic
03-25-2004, 10:41 PM
So I'm curious...did something go wrong with the Ansa?
I'm thinking of getting one. How much louder than Stock is it? I'm not
down with obnoxious exhausts, either. I'm hoping an Ansa will add a bit of "Alfa" to the sound of the car.

cheers,
B

bimmerboi318
03-26-2004, 03:03 AM
the ansa was very quiet. a tad louder than stock. until it broke in, it seemed exactly like the stock exhaust. after it broke in there was a nice low subtle rumble below 2500 rpm. but the system cracked in two pieces on a weld. i decided to not have it rewelded and bought the stromung.

hotdog19d
03-26-2004, 03:19 PM
The tri-flo exhaust on my TI also sets off car alarms. It sound a little ricey but I don't think there is any really getting around that with a 4-banger

bimmerboi318
04-08-2004, 12:27 AM
well it's been a few weeks since i've installed the stromung and i must say the tone is GREAT...once it's warmed up. When the engine and exhaust are cold it still has the tin can ricey sound. but once warm, through the entire rpm range it sounds awesome. my car definatly draws a few more glances than before the install. so IMO this is a worthwhile system.

bimmerboi318
04-09-2004, 02:12 AM
ok guys one more thing. when my car is cold (like i said earlier) it sounds ratty and almost sounds like something is rattling inside my exhaust. now since i have a brand new catback on, im sure nothing is rattling inside of it. is this what a bad cat would sound like? or is this common with our cars. like i said, after it has warmed up it sounds great, but until then, im embarrased to go over 3k rpm. so is this something i just have to deal with? or can it be fixed? thanks guys.

deci
09-23-2004, 08:12 AM
the stromung exhaust fits a little tight to the bottom of the car. there is one piece of the piping that actually touches the body under the car or comes really close to it depending on the craftsmanship of your particular exhaust.

to get rid of the rattle, you need to place some thing in between the pipe and the part it touches. i haven't exactly figured out what to put in there though. it has to be soft to stop the sound but can withstand a large amount of heat so that the pipe doesn't melt it.

any ideas on what material would be suitable? some kind of heat resistant rubber?

oh also, you can indent the pipe in that spot so that it no longer touches it when it vibrates, but this creates a bottleneck in your exhaust and obviously limits the airflow so i don't think this is a good idea.

ddiorio1313
09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Slap some asbestos up in there...he he...I just tore out my old Furnace and I have a tone of abestos laying around....it doesn't look very pretty , but smells great!

GDB
09-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Just go to your local parts store and get some orange RTV sealant. I had a buddy of mine who was having similar problems with aftermarket exhaust on his mustang so we tried the RTV sealant and it worked like a charm. That was about 2 years ago and haven't had any problems since.
Just looosen the exhaust enough to that it's not running, then just blob some sealant to the underside of the car or to the exhaust, give the sealant plenty of time to setup, hook your exhaust back up and you should be good.

deci
09-24-2004, 11:54 PM
RTV Sealant...

thanks a lot, i'll go look for that today.