PDA

View Full Version : Stering wheel vibrates when brake

96ti
03-25-2004, 01:45 AM
When I put on my brakes at above 60 mph, I can feel the steering wheel vibrating. No problem under 60mph. What is that? The brake pads worn out? or it is just normal when the ABS kicks in?

Phil Marx
03-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Believe me, I doubt you're engaging the ABS at 60 mph. You'd not be worried about any vibration!

You probably have warped rotors, most likely the fronts but sometimes...

If you've ever had then turned-down to repair a warped condition, they only warp more quickly the next time. Just replace them. Not many maintenance jobs are easier on the ti. Use either BMW rotors from a real dealer or some other brand someone you know well swears by. They're not that expensive so do it right. Replace pads while you're there, too, only in this case use nearly anything but BMW pads.

I'm currently running Hawk HPS pads with Zimmerman cross-drilled vented rotors and it stops real well.

-Phil

1996 328ti
03-25-2004, 04:51 AM
Under moderate braking it could also be worn lower control arm bushings. Mine were completely torn. It felt like I had grocery cart wheels up front. It's pretty easy to see shot LCA bushings. They will look torn.

grail
03-25-2004, 02:03 PM
balljoint perhaps?

ClubSport
03-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I had your exact problem. It was the front rotors. Call it warpage or pad deposition or whatever you want.

Took them out and had them ground - problem solved. Total cost $24. This was after I replaced the lower control arm bushings with solid 95 M3 ones to try and fix it. Those had other benefits, though, that I'm still enjoying.

I know people say that this makes your rotors more likely to warp again, but 7000 mi later, here I am with no warpage. If you don't brake irresponsibly you won't warp rotors. The biggest thing is not to keep the brakes clamped after a long hard stop when your rotors are all hot. Let them cool free of pad pressure.

96ti
03-31-2004, 06:16 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I'll look for those problems. Plan to work on my ti this weekend.