PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: What Alarm for '95?

marleymon
03-26-2004, 06:41 AM
I need to get an alarm on my 95 sport. The dealer told me they weren't prewired till 97. Any reccomendations? What am I in for if not pre-wired?

I now live in little tijuana,MI. and have been going crazy about keeping an eye on my prized possesion. :shock:
TIA-
marley mon

C4-C
03-26-2004, 09:34 PM
I would recommend the DEI Valet on this website.. www.asianwolf.com
I ordered my DEI Hornet from these guys for less than $200... a type that you'd usually find at Best Buy or Circuit City for at least (AT LEAST) $300-400. The Hornet was replaced with the Valet on this website... same alarm really.. just better now that it's been upgraded with other things. It has remote start, two way pager, keyless entry, and of course the alarm system. DEI also makes the Viper alarms. I've had both viper and hornet in my ti for 6 years (since I first got it)... no problems at all. Just make sure you have someone that can proffesionally install it for you. Cost me a little over a hundred for install.

Pre wired just means just that... on the later models of BMW, they started already wiring the car for plug and play installations of their own products... such as CD changer and alarm.. I also think cell phone.. I've forgotten.. haven't looked at the plugs in the hatch for a long time... anyways.. the prewiring is only compatible with BMW made electronics.... so that the easy install would only be easy for their stuff. Not aftermarket.

marleymon
03-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the alarm lead. I've got some front suspension work coming up, so will have to wait for now.
Say, where, and do they pretty much have to chop into the, electrical system to install. (follow that?)
Who do ya trust for this project? :?
josh
:twisted:

C4-C
03-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Well if you look in the tiny crack behind the fuse box (under the hood, top right corner; black box), you'll be able to see where the wiring goes into the car's dash. The alarm horn will run through there. The "brain" of the alarm (at least for my car) was installed in the dash, under the glove box... I did not install my alarm, so to be honest I do not know all the technicalities. But from what I know and have experienced, the installer did a great job, and no problems whatsoever. As for who can do the job? Well Rollin Sound of Jax, FL did the installation for me. But anyone in your town can do it if they are DEI certified. I wouldn't go to any mom and pop store if they aren't DEI certified. Usually if a store sells DEI products: Viper, Valet, Hornet, Clifford Alarms... then they should know how to install it. That's where my trust would lie... BTW if you buy the car alarm from the website I gave you he does give a warranty, but it is only good so long as you are getting the alarm installed at a certified shop. Oh and for the remote start function you will need to purchase a BMW Remote Start Module ($50?) on the website... if it's for your year model... I don't know though since you do have a 95 and that is OBD I... it's on the website for module applications.