PDA

View Full Version : Good BMW shop/mechanic?

JoeyBello
03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Hey, I found a 1999 BMW 528i with 49k orginal miles and orginal owner for sale. He has not done any major maintance and has no service records. The car itself looks new but, when I drove it there were some noises... what service would be reccomended on a car like this that is basically 100% orginal? And does anyone know a good place in the NY or lower CT region where I could take it to get checked before buying it?

amancuso
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
you might have better luck asking in a general BMW forum like bimmerforums or bimmerfest's regional sections.

Recon427
03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Ah....I hope he changed the oil.

You need to at a minimum:

1) Flush Cooling System
2) Bleed Brakes
3) Change Oil [buy the engine cleaner from autohausaz.com for $10 and run it in the engine by following the instructions. Then change the oil with some new Castrol Syntec 5W-30]. This will help get any gunk out of the engine.
4) Run Techron fuel system cleaner.

Your drive train fluids should be fine at 49k. Check the spark plugs. I think the car should be due for Inspection II sometime soon. That would cover a lot of the essentials.

When you say it is making noises....can you be a bit more specific?

JoeyBello
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
He ended up selling it on me.. but it made noise from the front a loud droning sound whenever you were driving at a steady speed. He said the guy who bought it took it to his mechanic and it only needed new front tires and a house for the power sterring which was leaking. I was running late for an appointment and didnt even think to check the tires.

Ah....I hope he changed the oil.

You need to at a minimum:

1) Flush Cooling System
2) Bleed Brakes
3) Change Oil [buy the engine cleaner from autohausaz.com for $10 and run it in the engine by following the instructions. Then change the oil with some new Castrol Syntec 5W-30]. This will help get any gunk out of the engine.
4) Run Techron fuel system cleaner.

Your drive train fluids should be fine at 49k. Check the spark plugs. I think the car should be due for Inspection II sometime soon. That would cover a lot of the essentials.

When you say it is making noises....can you be a bit more specific?