PDA

View Full Version : Eurospec Under glovebox compartment????

C4-C
03-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the compartment on the Eurospec 318ti that replaces the knee cover under the glove box compartment?? Just wondering... would be a great place to store DVD's and cd's... I've seen it before on ebay.. should have got it then...

1996 328ti
03-29-2004, 04:19 AM
You're talking about the storage shelf? I remember someone having the part number on the ti mailing list years ago. I went through my old messages and couldn't find it.

I think Z3s had somekind of netted pocket that mounted along the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. That might work.

C4-C
03-29-2004, 05:42 AM
I'd really like to get that shelf... the Z3 netting might work but it's netting... I'd like something solid instead. I remember seeing it thinking that it looked pretty cool... does something with that space there too...

grail
03-30-2004, 01:50 PM
will look for you in etk.i've got one but mine would me a mirror image of what you want. will try to find the part number

C4-C
03-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey man.. just to let you know I do want one for the left hand driver (US) version of the ti... It is the compartment shelf that replaces the plastic knee "bolster?" panel underneath the glove box for the passenger side. Please let me know if you find it. Thanks alot!

L84THSKY
03-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Any luck finding this compartment shelf? I think that could be just what I need to finish a project. A picture would be nice as well.

Hey man.. just to let you know I do want one for the left hand driver (US) version of the ti... It is the compartment shelf that replaces the plastic knee "bolster?" panel underneath the glove box for the passenger side. Please let me know if you find it. Thanks alot!

bluebastion
03-03-2005, 05:13 PM
nope none yet.... C4-C was me... but I forgot my password hehehe

Look at chrisferriera's(sp?) photo gallery and you'll see what I mean.... He lives in Brazil though. Seems all US spec did not come with these knee bolster shelves.

L84THSKY
03-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I looked at his gallery, and didn't find a picture that illustrated the shelf :?

nope none yet.... C4-C was me... but I forgot my password hehehe

Look at chrisferriera's(sp?) photo gallery and you'll see what I mean.... He lives in Brazil though. Seems all US spec did not come with these knee bolster shelves.

ChrisS
03-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I can't make much sense of the diagrams, but you might find it here...

click (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=CG71&mospid=47455&prod=19970800&hg=51&fg=30)

htt://www.realoem.com bookmark it! :)

bluebastion
03-03-2005, 06:34 PM
L8- You have to look hard in his pics.. he's not trying to take pictures of the shelves because to him it's norm. But if you look at the dash pics you can see them (even if they're cut off). Try this link... you can see the driver's side shelf easily... but just the silouhette of the passenger one.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=85&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

btw, he has that vintage steering wheel installed... doesn't look bad at all.

ChrisS- thanks... I've tried the etk... the part number comes out to be trim for the interior (wood etc...) not the shelf. doesn't make sense to the dealer either.

PettitWC
03-03-2005, 06:58 PM
you can see the left edge of it in one of those pictures...that would be real handy for all kinds of stuff!! and a driver's side one too, man why didn't we get those??

bluebastion
03-03-2005, 08:16 PM
You could fit an xbox in there... not that anyone here would want to do that.

L84THSKY
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
This is what I wanna put in the shelf.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/AudioSystem.JPG

Need to move the Blaupunkt Compact MP3 player somewhere else. It's the silver box in front of the shifter.

You could fit an xbox in there... not that anyone here would want to do that.

aceyx
03-03-2005, 11:56 PM
is the mp3 player not controllable through the h/u? i would toss it in a glovebox or under the seat.

L84THSKY
03-04-2005, 02:55 AM
It is controllable through the head unit. The glovebox is cramped already. I might try turning that knee bolster into a secret compartment. Maybe I can put a hing on it, and use velcro on the top. Then I can open and close it, and no one will know it opens.

is the mp3 player not controllable through the h/u? i would toss it in a glovebox or under the seat.

aceyx
03-04-2005, 03:08 AM
i'm not sure i would go that route; the knee bolster is actually to prevent you from submarining (slipping under the belt) in an accident. also lessens the potential to break your legs, or is intended to at the expense of saving your neck.

underneath the driver's seat there are holes for a fire extinguisher mount. I would use those and mount it there, out of the way. might not work if you are ridiculously tall though.

cali-ti
03-04-2005, 06:12 AM
haven't found what you're referring to yet, but i did find this while looking:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG72&mospid=47455&prod=20000800&btnr=65_0970&hg=65&fg=95

gadgetphreak
03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Yo Cali, where is that supposed to mount..?

bluebastion
03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
The shelves replace the kneebosters (the lower dash pieces). However, the part Cali is linking to is a BMW CD storage item that inserts into the middle console (wide) rectangular bin.

L84THSKY
03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
I wasn't going to remove the bolster, just make getting behind the bolter easier. By hinging it, like the glove box, I can mount my MP3 drive behind it. I would rather not mount it under the seat, makes me nervous it will get damaged.

I do have a really cool Italian made one use extinguisher I bought from a parts store. It looks like a batton, but shoots foam. I can mount that under the seat.

i'm not sure i would go that route; the knee bolster is actually to prevent you from submarining (slipping under the belt) in an accident. also lessens the potential to break your legs, or is intended to at the expense of saving your neck.

underneath the driver's seat there are holes for a fire extinguisher mount. I would use those and mount it there, out of the way. might not work if you are ridiculously tall though.

aceyx
03-06-2005, 03:35 AM
just my opinion, but i still think it's a bad idea. maybe if it were hinged at the top (opening at the bottom) i would go for it but it sounds like it would break away much easier than engineered for.

for example, if you open up a door and push on the edge, even straight towards the hinge, a small movement left or right allows it to swing.

has anyone tried emailing chrisferriera?

Boxbrownie
03-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Actually the knee bolster is only there to try to stop you ripping your knees apart on the various ironmongery behind them! The seats themselves stop you submarining, they have 'humps' designed into the front of seat base which stop you sliding forward in an impact.

Best regards David

aceyx
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
ironmongery
this is my new word. thank you.

Boxbrownie
03-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I could have just said XCB..........but then nobody would have understood!

aceyx
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
yeah, get back to me next week (with an explanation). i'll have worn out ironmongery by then, at least the eye-ron pronunciation.

Boxbrownie
03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
It's a bit more of a mouthfull.......but the correct terminology........

XCB = Cross Car Beam.........who have thought eh? :evil_lau: