PDA

View Full Version : :-(

robcarync
04-08-2004, 07:46 PM
this isnt really a question, but just a quick story about my car. not sure where to post it, but it has to do with problems and going to the shop for maintainance so i guess ill post it here.

but for a while, my car has been leaking differential oil from the rear axle. i finally got it into the local mechanic (not bmw dealer) and they checked it out and said they couldnt fix it and i had to take it to a bmw place. well i take it to the bmw dealer and it has a bad seal on the differential, and i also had a cracked cylinder by the transmission and the drive shaft :( apparently its a long process that requires a lot of work this is the second day ive been without the car, and this is going to be costing around 900 or so dollars. this is sad.

well that was short, and pointless. oh well.

robcarync
04-09-2004, 12:57 AM
apparently this cracked cylinder was something by the name of a guebo clutch. aka a chuck of rubber in the shape of a cylinder that holds the drive shaft and the transmission together. interesting isnt it. 894 dollars to get it all fixed...cracked cylinder and a few bad seals that were leaking differential. i got a free car wash though. then as i drove it off the lot, the check engline light came on. it went off like 10 seconds later though. woo.

i think the mechanics had some fun with my subs though...i got in my car and the cds were switched around and the bass was up lol. woo!

1996 328ti
04-09-2004, 01:39 AM
It is pretty normal for the diff to leak after a period of time. My mechanic has told me it is not a problem as long as it is not dripping.

The Guibo is a common part too. On my driveshaft I needed the flex disk and driveshaft mount replaced.

Don't know what the cracked cylinder is all about.

robcarync
04-10-2004, 06:19 PM
cracked cylinder = guebo...i guess they said cylinder becauise it was a cylindrical shape part or whatever...my mom talked to them on the phone so i dont know what they actually told her but i talked to the guys at the dealer and it was a cracked guebo not a cylinder.

and then i started it yesterday and it was making a funky noise. my dad thinks the water pump is about to go out, and the dealer told us that our breaks arent out yet, but they will need replacing somewhat soon. not to mention im up for an inspectiojn II service sometime this summer...wow i need a job becuase i know my mom is already concerned she bought a money trap and isnt liking all this money shes having to put into it.

1996 328ti
04-11-2004, 04:50 AM
It's not a money trap. Cars need maintenance. Brakes are consumable. You can buy a Honda that will run 100,000 miles with little or no care but it won't handle like a BMW. My ti has 180,000 miles, or more like 190,000 miles since the odo was replaced at 10K. I put money into it each year replacing worn parts. Then again, I do 5 or 6 weekends at the track and don't baby it. A Japanese car will be as expensive to fix. Parts for my 1990 Mazda are ridiculous.

robcarync
04-11-2004, 06:25 AM
every time i try to say that cars need maitainance...she always brings up her old toyota mini van that lasted 15 years and only needed a 100 dollar part in the whole 15 years she had it. somehow she expects every car to be like that...

2ndBimmer
04-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Reminds me of one of my roommates, the one who always gives me a ride to the mechanic. Recently i had my summer wheels balanced. A couple months ago a hose under the engine cracked. And a month before that, it was a flat tire.

He claims that he only takes his 88 Cavalier in for service twice a year at the most.

1996 328ti
04-11-2004, 07:09 PM
My 1990 Mazda MX6 has +190,000 miles. 170,000 are on the original rotors and brakes. I do need brakes though. I have replaced the water pump, exhaust at least 3 times, timing belt at least 4 times. Master cylinder, distributor. A/C no longer works. Leaks water from the sunroof. Tires last 60,000 miles.

The ti over the last 3 years, differential. Track took it's toll on it. Radiator last year. Preventative. Replaced worn out suspension 2 years ago.

I think the cost of ownership is higher on my Mazda.

brucelee
06-15-2004, 02:57 PM
All cars need maint as they age. I have had a number of Lexus autos. Great cars but they need maint and it is VERY expensive.

BMW is avg in this regard and inconsistent. Some parts are a deal, some are silly they are so costly.

J!m
06-17-2004, 11:09 PM
:lol: Try Land-Rover parts for cost... :lol: