PDA

View Full Version : NEEEWBIE !!!!! Picking up 318ti Toinght !! Questions..

first_bmw
04-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Picking up a 318ti Tonight.... Few Q's... Please. !!

I had found Exactly what I THOUGHT i wanted in Chicago, a 1997 318ti Manual, Moonroof, Rims, Etc.. So I drove the 1hr and 10mins down there, And It had rust on the underskirt, the belts squeeeked, The doorhandle was loose and Only sometimes the windows worked :(

So I found Another In Lake Geneva, Its NOT exactly what I want, Its an Automatic :( , No moon/Sun roof, But other than that and some Sideskirt paint chipping, Its Showroom. Its a 1997 also.

The 1st one had the FOG light, the Better one does not, Was there Different Trim levels for the 318ti's ?!?

I Need the Fogs, Matching Side-Skirts, and Angeleyes !!

Where do I go fro aftermarket support ?!?

This is alot different from the Nissan Pathfinder I am trading in. I Like this (Bmw 318ti) car Mainly due to its Sportyness, and Goood Gas milage.

My pathfinder gets a whopping 13mpg., What should I expect from this car, it has 130k on it and Is fully dealer serviced w/ paperwork from day1

After Pathy trade in I am only coming out of pocket w/ $1500.00 , It has No CD player, due to owner not wanting to sacrafice the factory alarm ?!
What does that mean ?! Did this yr, model have Door Clickers ?! to Lock and unlock and Factory Alarms ?!?

I searched, very little in fo on this car, thanks !!!

Im Excited, Can you tell !?!??!

1996 328ti
04-11-2004, 10:33 PM
The first one you looked at sounds like it was a Sport model. also sounds like it was in an accident.

The 2nd is either an Active or Base. If it has an On Board Computer it is probably an Active.

Wiring fog lights is a PITA. The fog lights are pretty useless anyway. Angel eyes? Pretty but useless too.

Are you sure you want an automatic?
You will get more power with a manual.

You wanted a sunroof. This one doesn't have it.
The car already needs some paint and you already want to install fog lights.

I guess it's too late but are you sure you are going to be happy with this car?

2ndBimmer
04-12-2004, 05:51 AM
Replacing the tape deck or cd player has nothing to do with the alarm system.

For after market look at BavAuto.com or BMPD.com.

You will want a manual. 133 pounds of twist doesnt go too far with an auto.

I have a 97, it didnt come with a cd player or foglights, but Ive added them. It did come with remote locking and the sunroof.
FYI, I get 27mpg average.

first_bmw
04-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey guys...

Yeah the first one must have been a sport, but I did not like it.

The second one, I bought.

Its Black on black, and has had 2 previous owners. The first owner was a lady, and has kept meticallious records, it was all dealer serviced, Even the wiper blades !! So the car came with this big ol' file, from blades to tires all dealer serviced, even towed it in to the dealer when the battery died, That was an expensive chrg, I seen 2 or 3 Major tuneups that ran about $900.00 each time, It said regular maintenance. On about 6months ago.

the car has 130,000 on it. so this Lady wanted a landrover, and she traded the BMW to a guy that had a landrover, the guy "bought" the Bmw for his wife, he/she owned it for 3 months put 400miles on it, changed oil once 1 week ago, and then the lady (wife) said it was too small.

HEnce I come in, I worked it out to trade my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder (Nice condition) w/ 100,000 miles to the Bmw guy, and I threw in an extra $1,000. and Walked away. Good deal ?!?

So now for the Bmw, I Really, really Like it, It seems good on gas, alot better that my Pathfinder that was getting 13mpg. and YES i dont like the Grey Underskirts, so I will get those painted, I believe it to be a ... I dunno It has a clock/computer........ It does have a PINHOLE exhause leak the goes like Tick, tick, tich, put, putt , putt, and For the Muffler place to make me a new pipe and new muffler, its $180.00 but I think I can seal the hole somehow, its like 1/8 round hole.

No sunroof :( But Supurb condition, Everyone says it looks bran new.

I think I will throw in that fact that this is my first bmw, and its pretty nice, Not really looking for speed, or anything, just a clean sporty look, and good milage. and dependable.

any-other thoughts ?~!? I think I did good on the price.

Thanks all.

1996 328ti
04-13-2004, 12:48 AM
No sunroof :(
No sunroof was probably a special order. I don't think dealers would have ordered one with no sunroof. Some people just don't like them but most people I know who delete the sunroof want a little more clearance for a helmet.

first_bmw
04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
FIrst Mod...

First night, I noticed the headlights were Crap. They were a dull Yellow color and looked like an old Yugo.

I have been a silverstar fan for awhile so in went the 9006's.

Much Improvement. Very White. I wonder what else is on the market,
but I hate to spend big $$ for bulbs that are unknown.

tastade
04-13-2004, 06:30 PM
No sunroof :(
No sunroof was probably a special order. I don't think dealers would have ordered one with no sunroof. Some people just don't like them but most people I know who delete the sunroof want a little more clearance for a helmet.

Yeah, I was looking at Mazda 3's and the ones with the sunroof just don't have enough clearence for my head. Without the sunroof and they have more than 1" more headroom. I love sunroofs, but in most cars I would have to order them without one.

Congrats on the new 318ti! I am glad you like it. I love my 318ti, it makes a wonderful daily driver/commuter. Much more fun than most other commuter cars. It gets much better gas mileage than my Legend did. Sure it isn't as fast, but it is more fun to drive.

tastade
04-13-2004, 06:32 PM
FIrst Mod...

First night, I noticed the headlights were Crap. They were a dull Yellow color and looked like an old Yugo.

I have been a silverstar fan for awhile so in went the 9006's.

Much Improvement. Very White. I wonder what else is on the market,
but I hate to spend big $$ for bulbs that are unknown.

Sometimes new bulbs will help out. I just use the $7.00 Sylvania bulbs that they sell anywhere. Hyperwhites might look cool but they really don't offer much better light, especially for the cost.

first_bmw
04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Its a pretty nice car... Big difference from the SUV, Deffinately not too quick but still pretty cool.

I went to 2 body shops yesterday to get the sideskirts painted the same color as the car, for estimates.. Cuz the sideskirts, front (lwr) and rear bumpers are a grey colour... The average estimate for this is $500.00

Does that sound right ?!? Is there a better / cheaper way ?!?

Thanks all...

Travis
04-15-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm about 150 miles south of chicago, and priced a hood re-spray ($500) at three different places, paintless dent repair on 4 panels ($100 per panel at ziebart), and other misc. brush touch-up, buffing, etc.

Package deals for all of the above together ranged from $900 at the dealership in Bloomington to $1000 at Kurt's Autobody and $1500 at a place that does not do or contract paintless dent repair.

-Travis Knox

Phil Marx
04-15-2004, 06:49 AM
If your new car is a '97 with gray rocker panels, then it must be a non-package base car. Does it even have alloy wheels? Gray also on the lower part of the front and rear bumpers. Probably doesn't have cruise-control either.

Have fun. The automatic isn't so bad. If you get it up near 4000 rpm it's got plenty of scoot. Also, click it down into "3" on the gear shift for better automatic performance around town.

-Phil