PDA

View Full Version : NC, new road course

lysergicsurfer
04-20-2010, 05:55 AM
The first phase of North Carolinas first road course/test track is complete. The weekend of september 25-26th NASA will have a HPDE. They had one this past weekend, the first time the public was aloud on the course and it was a great success(I saw the photos). The track surface is perfect and fresh, so this will be a unique experience. Its 2.1 mile right now, but future plans will be adding much more asphalt. It is the NCCAR test track, it is for automotive testing and research. It is not set up for road racing, no proper barrier yet, not sure what the plans will be like in the future. Anything is better than what NC has now, *two circle tracks.... I signed up last night, pre-registration ends april 30th. This will ensure first slots guaranteed and a discount early bird price(yet to be determined). I have not been to this site yet, but I here it is top notch for what it is. I would like to have another ti to come also, so I am just letting everyone know, since this has not been advertised much. Its is right off of I-95, minutes from hotels and restaurants, so it should be convenient for someone out of town. By the way my ti is not set up for any type of racing, or high performance. I wont be surprised If I am the slowest car, so dont worry about being unprepared.

1996 328ti
04-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Is this Rock Hill? Oh, wait. Rock Hill is nowhere near 95.
What track is this?

I read about so many tracks being built but believe it when I see it.
Supposedly there is a track being built in Gaffney, SC.

mohaughn
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Anything is better than what NC has now, *two circle tracks....

Lowes motor speedway and Rockingham both have roval configurations and a lot of clubs run events at those facilities.

lysergicsurfer
04-20-2010, 06:06 PM
There is just nothing special about them, the track day events are poor compared to Carolina Mot. and VIR. My parents live about 20 min from the rockingham track, its old and they have little to no funding.(not the same for lowes) Im sure they put out good club races, but i recommend going somewhere for hpde. The NCCAR is fully funded by the goverment and the automotive industry, when finished the final track layout looks like it will be top notch, with state of the art testing facilitys. It will primaly be rented to manufactures to be a safe and secure(private) test track, testing all aspects of car performance. It also will have a suspension dyno, aero lab,etc... Im not down talking the nascar tracks, it is cool to drive on the banked turns, although at rockingham you only get to go on part of a turn. I forgot to mention this is off 95 up near virginia, so farther from you steve. But you already have a great track. I am looking foward to be able to drive on a freshly paved track surface, worth it to me...

1996 328ti
04-20-2010, 07:03 PM
There was a track under development named Dragon something in the Tidewater area.
Is this the place?

Barber next month for me. :)

lysergicsurfer
04-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Birmingham, thats a pretty good drive from you still. What other tracks do you go to around these areas, besides the usually Road atlanta, VIR, and CMP. NCCAR is near Roanoke Rapids, I am not sure where the Tidewater area is, maybe its near the same place...

http://www.nccar.us/

Click the PDF. brochure in the middle of the page, it shows a outline in dark of what is completed and an aerial photo, then you can see what will be in store for the future.