PDA

View Full Version : Sun-faded rear shelf from black to blue

Phil Marx
04-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Has anyone else experienced the black rear shelf on the 318ti fading in intense sun and changing from black to a dark blue? My '98 Active pkg. car is from Texas and spent nearly all it's life outside under the Houston sun. Today I took the shelf out and sprayed it with two coats of Duplicolor fabric and carpet dye. So far so good. It covered well and didn't seem to harm the flocked finish of the shelf material. I'll follow up if success turns to failure over time.

I've also tried the new leather conditioner from International Auto at:
http://www.autosportcatalog.com
on the sunburned surfaces of the headrest side panels, etc. So far, so good here, too. They also make what appears to be a great external rubber and trim treatment for our side protection strips and bumper trim. The first application removed the previous owner's white wax residue (he was using the fake zymol-brand wax made by Turtle wax) and left a clean trim. This company is local (Charlottesville, VA) and has just started advertising in Roundel (May issue). I'll try to report on the rest of the line as I have a chance to try it.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation or financial arrangement with AutoSport. They gave me the stuff to try and I'm trying it. I normally use a combination of Zymol, Meguiar, and 3M products and am normally closed-minded to all others. So far I'm impressed.

-Phil

1996 328ti
04-19-2004, 06:06 PM
That is where the rear sun shade comes in handy. I have a extra one that I've been promising to people. If I remember I'll bring it to TechFest.

In fact I just started using the sun shade and windshield reflective thing again now that the spring is officially here.

Phil Marx
04-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Great! I'll be sure to bring something it'll fit!

-Phil

tipsyaj
08-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Just in case you get sick of taking care of the rear shelf like that ... you can purchase new rear deck shelfs ... I bought one last year, and I have to say it makes a tremendous difference in the overall appearance of the trunk, not that other people are looking at the trunk, just me. There's a thread in the interior section of the forum, check it out for the part # if you're interested. I believe with shipping it costs $105.

slacker
08-26-2004, 12:40 AM
I have used a black fabric paint in a pump spray bottle from Michaels craft stores and it does a great job. Can't remember the brand but it may be Tulip. Takes a couple of times if yours is really "Magenta" from the sun. Pop the tray out, spray, dry in the sun an hour or so. Only tried black though.
Gary