PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question, who makes a supercharger kit for my 96 TI?

318TIRD
05-01-2004, 07:15 AM
I'm new to the thread, I just got a 1996 318TI, and have been wondering who makes a supercharger kit for my car and what kind of gains I will be expecting?

Also what about a header or exhaust?
Thanks,
Cory J.

2ndBimmer
05-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Downing Atlanta.
They claim 215bhp and 200 lbft.
Kit costs a bit over $3000.
Several people on this forum have one (I might soon).

jigg60
05-05-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm new to the thread, I just got a 1996 318TI, and have been wondering who makes a supercharger kit for my car and what kind of gains I will be expecting?

Also what about a header or exhaust?
Thanks,
Cory J.

The Downing Atlanta Supercharger kit is probably your best bet. It's easy to install, comes complete, and gives the ti the punch it needs. I researched options (supercharger, turbo, M3 motor swap) carefully before fitting the DASC to my ti - I went with the DASC because it seemed to me to be easier and more reliable than a turbo setup, and a lot easier than the M3 swap (especially by the time you get done playing with suspension, spindle, and drivetrain mods). I've run the DASC kit on my car for about 25-30k miles now without any problems...I highly recommend it.

Supersprint makes very nice headers, test pipes, and exhaust systems for the ti - the headers are very expensive though (like $800 or so). I believe Hammann also does full exhaust systems with headers - again, rediculously expensive (the header alone is over $1000)! You have several other more budget-friendly choices for performance exhaust though...look around (a lot of the time you can find them on classifieds listings on forums and in CCA mailers). I am running stock header and cat with a B&B Triflo stainless cat-back system......pretty happy with it so far, though one weld has begun to leak slightly after about 35k miles.

grail
05-05-2004, 07:38 PM
jigg60,

i am thinking of installing a DASC as well sometime.what other modifications did you do(brakes, suspension etc.)i would like to do them before i get the SC you see.

have you dynoed your ti after the installation?results?

planetace
08-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey there newbie here!
I totally agree, i would much rather go with the supercharged kit then doing the swap, that way you dont have to deal with any headaches along the way when you do the swap.
And i guess if you want a little more kick just throw in "throttle in a bottle"
and you should be done for a daily driver.

RAiMA
08-08-2004, 12:26 AM
How much power would you like? We do things the DASC can't :)

Up to 360bhp 475lb-ft with the RT Setup