PDA

View Full Version : Engine Sputter

Etienne
05-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I had posted this question in a reply to another post, and as I am updating the information I figured I'd just start a new thread.

My car is having sort of sputtering problem. sometimes it seems that it is missfiring, and others that it isn't getting enough fuel or air. I replaced the fuel filter, the mass air boot and the air filter (K&N filter on the "fogged" airbox)

Anyway, when I accelerate up a hill or really hard, the car sputters when it gets into 4500 rpm or so in second or third gear. It is a little inconsistent though, and sometimes will accelerate no problem, other times it gets so bad that every time I start moving I get sputter.

Any ideas?

There is a little hose comming off of my Mass Air Flow Boot that seems to go to some sensor or something... it is the only part of the intake system I haven't replaced (mainly because getting to it looks like its gonn be pretty tough to get out. I am also not 100% sure what this hose/sensor is (breather hose...?)

Thanks Much!

SJM

jeph23
11-15-2004, 06:21 PM
You know, I was kind of having the same problem, so I talked to one of my mechanic friends. Another problem that I was having with it was the big change in my gas mileage. I was getting about 40 miles a tank less then before. So, I talked to my friend and he said that I probably had a spark plug that the gap was too wide on I was probably getting blow by. Easy fix. Change the spark plugs. I did just that and it solved the problem. It runs fine again and my gas mileage is back to normal. Hope this helps!

RAiMA
11-16-2004, 12:15 AM
You know, I was kind of having the same problem, so I talked to one of my mechanic friends. Another problem that I was having with it was the big change in my gas mileage. I was getting about 40 miles a tank less then before. So, I talked to my friend and he said that I probably had a spark plug that the gap was too wide on I was probably getting blow by. Easy fix. Change the spark plugs. I did just that and it solved the problem. It runs fine again and my gas mileage is back to normal. Hope this helps!

Diam, you beat me to it :D Was about to suggest the same with the spark plugs. This also happened to me.