PDA

View Full Version : Swish!... Rubber In Hoop!

C4-C
05-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Not exactly... So I was driving on I-20 today to head to WalMart and buy my fiance' some rubbermaid containers for moving... anyways, just like in good ole' South Carolina fashion, the people in front of me in my lane didn't swerve on coming debris from a blown tire and the last car in front of me spit out a nice chunk at my front ///M bumper.... right sent the piece of rubber right smack into the plastic grill (NOT the mesh one).. So I need some help... Thankfully the plastic under piece that protects the bottom of the radiator cradled the grill, and I still have it (but it's now cracked in some of the mini pillars...). My Wal Mart trip became a super glue trip as well, and as I type the glue is setting nicely so far. Anyways... I need to know what kind of screws and other peripheral things like that I will need to reassemble this back into the ///M bumper. I noticed that there are two holes on either side and two holes on both bottom and top. What and how are these holes used to fasten this grill to the bumper? Are screws and washers the only things I need to get it back on correctly? And what sizes of screws or whatever is needed do I need to get? Lastly, do the things I am needing have to be ordered from BMW. I guess I'll drive around right now without anything protecting the radiator, but if I can get alot of help soon on this... it will help much. Thanks again. Have a great day!... BTW I think it was a 3 pointer.... after all it was a early 90's 5 series that made the shot and scored.... Idiot. * thoughtful pause * ... not you... the driver.

J!m
05-13-2004, 12:38 AM
The mesh and/or slats are held in place with 'one-use' metal clips, looking a bit like a speed-nut (but not really). A pretty bad idea, if you ask me, as it's a bitch when time to repair of replace (as you are learning...).

Hopefully, the very fragile posts on the back side of the bumper cover have not been broken off (they are about 1/8 inch diameter). If so, you're left to McGyver the thing back on.

Place filler piece (mesh or slats) onto studs from back side of bumper cover (removing entire cover may be warranted) and squish on the metal clips. I used a small nut-driver to press them on evenly.

Good luck!

2ndBimmer
05-13-2004, 02:04 AM
I love it when people dont dodge obstructions in the road :( .

A several years ago an SUV in front of me straddled a whole dead deer in the road. Not seeing any evasive action left me wondering what that brown spot was, until... BOOM!

No damage. Those E21s were built solid.