PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof repair

95tiSpud
06-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Hello everyone, I have a sunroof repair question. I've searched and read all I could find about my problem, and it's helped tremendously getting to the point I'm at now, but I'm at a wall. I have the headliner panel out (have it painted to match the interior, looks really good by the way), I have the sunroof cassette out, and I have the metal panel off. I know I needed item #15 in the diagram (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=54_0187&hg=54&fg=05), because the broken piece fell out when I took out the headliner panel. After messing with it for a while, turns out the sliders that are attached to the drive cables are not in line with each other; one is about 2"-4" in ront of the other. This can't be right, and I'm not sure how fix it. Seems the drive cables need to be adjusted. Has anyone come across this? Is it something to leave to a shop? I was planning on dropping off the cassette to a sunroof repair shop and let them fix it, but if someone has some info on the topic and it's easy enough, I'll do it myself. Anyway, thanks in advance.

95tiSpud
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Update: I removed the sunroof motor, then was able to move the sliders attached to the cables so that they are in the same position relative to each other. Easy enough. I first had to find the totally closed position on the motor and get 1 slider in that position. The Pelican Parts article helped a great deal, but they failed to mention you can adjust the cables after removing the motor. Now I need to get some replacement parts and hopefully it'll all go back together like it should...

95tiSpud
07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Update2: SUCCESS!!!! Took a few months and a few trips to the dealer to get a some perfectly good pieces that I broke but it's working fine now. Almost, the fabric panel doesn't move back when the outer panel gets moved into the vent position. But that's ok, it opens and closes like it should otherwise.

Thinking back, I know what caused the problem. At 1 point, the motor cover panel just fell off for no reason. A lot of stuff was falling off the car so I didn't think much of it, but somehow 2 of the 3 motor mounting screws had also fell out so it was only held by 1 screw. I'm sure I tried to open/close the sunroof, and the teeth of the motor must have been disengaged from the cables and only moved 1 side, causing 1 side of the outer panel to stick up higher than the other.

The article on Pelican Parts was extremely helpful, along with some youtube videos showing it opening/closing while it was out of the car.

Dwimmerlaik
06-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I just had the exact same thing happen with my sunroof motor. I hit the switch and could actually feel the motor moving around and it sounded like the gears were not fully engaged. I took off the access panel and two of the bolts fell out. I have read how to remove the outside roof panel but I cannot get the inner fabric-covered panel to slide back.

I know you are supposed to start with the roof in the closed position and press the switch briefly to open just so the back drops about 1/8". At that position, I should be able to slide the interior panel back into the roof to gain access to the torx bolts to remove the outside panel and reveal the track. I can't get the inside panel to move. I really do not want to remove the headliner unless it is absolutely necessary.

Will someone please offer some advice? I think I have exhausted most other resources on the internet!!

cooljess76
06-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I just had the exact same thing happen with my sunroof motor. I hit the switch and could actually feel the motor moving around and it sounded like the gears were not fully engaged. I took off the access panel and two of the bolts fell out. I have read how to remove the outside roof panel but I cannot get the inner fabric-covered panel to slide back.

I know you are supposed to start with the roof in the closed position and press the switch briefly to open just so the back drops about 1/8". At that position, I should be able to slide the interior panel back into the roof to gain access to the torx bolts to remove the outside panel and reveal the track. I can't get the inside panel to move. I really do not want to remove the headliner unless it is absolutely necessary.

Will someone please offer some advice? I think I have exhausted most other resources on the internet!!There's a "sweet spot". Try letting it drop just a little bit more, otherwise it might just need a little force to slide the panel back with your hand. Mine felt like it was getting hung up, but a little force, it popped over whatever it was hanging on and slid back fine.

Dwimmerlaik
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I will give it another try.