PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Rear Brembo BBK for the e36/5!

clex2
05-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Wow, this is great news. I just found that Tire rack sells a 294mm (11.5") rear Brembo BBK for our awesome ti's. It must be new, cuz I've been looking for a BBk to match my front BBK, and from my research, no one had made one up to this point. What this means is that we don't have to find any wrecked M coupes/Roadsters to get the rear subframes/suspension anymore in order to get the bigger brakes. We can just bolt up this BBK. The only caveat is that we won't have the beefed up suspension arms, but it seems any competent metal fabrication/welding shop should be able to duplicate the beefier reiforcements on a stock ti arm.

Pocket_Rocket
06-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Wow that is great news considering my Ti is going to be used for track use only! Thanks for posting.. Where are all the ti people.. this place is dead!!!

1996 328ti
06-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Where are all the ti people.. this place is dead!!!
Encourage people to join. ;)

clex2
07-13-2004, 06:40 PM
OK, well this thread was a big mistake. After seeing the BBK on Tire Racks site, I placed my order but did some more snooping around to see if this kit would indeed fit. It didn't make sense to me that all of a sudden, after the ti had been out of production for so many years they would go and make a BBK. Tire Rack said they believe it fit but would double check with Brembo. They never got back to me, so i called Brembo myself and they were unsure themselves, no one had ever asked. In the meantime, the kit shows up at my door. Open it up, take the rear wheel off.........no way this is going to fit. Wrong rotor dimensions, caliper bracket holes are all wrong. So I call Tire rack and ask if they got an answer from Brembo yet, and Dallas tells me they siad it should fit. Hmmmmm......I tell him that during the delay, the kit arrived at my house and after test fitting the parts, I tell him it will not work. So the kit is going back. What a big let down. I call to tell Jim at Brembo that the kit doesn't fit so they can update their information. He was nice, took my addres and said he send me something to thank me for giving them that piece of info. I hope it a custom BBK (j/k). So all of you that were hoping this was the ti Holy Grail of rear brakes, sorry. Looks like I'll be going with Brembo drilled and slotted rear rotors, black caliper paint to match the front Brembos, SS lines, and solid caliper bushing guides. I was thinking about a M coupe/roadster rear subframe to allow for bigger rear brakes, but after feeling the heft of the 294mm rotors, I wonder how much HP is used to overcome the intertia. It would be more for the WOW factor than for shear braking performance. The car already sucks out eyeballs with the Brembo front BBK and stock rears.

pmd3
08-18-2004, 10:02 PM
I have been searching for a front and rear rotor combo to upgrade my brakes.
We all know that the stock brakes do the job, but mine don't look so hot behind my 17" BBS Wheels.
Has anyone found a matching set of stock replacement front and rear rotors, cross drilled or slotted?
I think drilled rears wopuld look nice even if totally unnecessary.

pmd3@aol.com

clex2
08-19-2004, 01:54 AM
You can get drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors from a variety of vendors (Bavarian Autosport being one of them). Many other online brake shops will drill or slot the rotors from OEM blanks. Just do a web search. The prob is with 17's, the rotors still look small in diameter. The only way to fix this is to get a BBK for the front. I just put drilled rotors on the rear and it does look nice, but still small.

KIRASIR
08-20-2004, 10:17 PM
A much easier way to fix the front is to put e46 front brakes. These are bolt on.

sL

You can get drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors from a variety of vendors (Bavarian Autosport being one of them). Many other online brake shops will drill or slot the rotors from OEM blanks. Just do a web search. The prob is with 17's, the rotors still look small in diameter. The only way to fix this is to get a BBK for the front. I just put drilled rotors on the rear and it does look nice, but still small.