PDA

View Full Version : just did the fogged air box without cutting at all

vulteiv1
06-06-2004, 10:33 PM
it's a 95 clubsport. only take 20 minute to redirect the air tunnel and the horns. the stock airbox already has a big 4 inch hole in it already. all i did was pull out the adapter (4 inch) for the existing tunnel and bam it's done. i'm pretty happy with the result too. :)

ClubSport
06-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Me too. I have a 4" dia hose running down connected to a hole in the brake duct. Try it out.

96cali
06-07-2004, 02:22 PM
vultiev1- please post pics, not sure what you did.

JedzE36/5
07-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Me too. I have a 4" dia hose running down connected to a hole in the brake duct. Try it out.

me three...

http://members.cox.net/weibcompact/Picture118.jpg

ClubSport
07-21-2004, 07:22 PM
That's pretty cool. Where did you get that adapter plug thing? And what are you using for hose, btw?

JedzE36/5
07-22-2004, 04:26 AM
i got it at Autozone. it is actually a kit for those cheap short ram intake kits made by APC/some company like that. i was walking in the ricer aisle and happened to see some flexible plastic intake hosing that was an option for the intake they sold. i looked around more and saw the adapter that went with the hose. both the adapter and hose cost me a total of like $15.00.

chepas
12-29-2004, 06:32 AM
http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/diy_ram_air.htm

jus did it. yes, you can feel the difference ;)

e30fiend
12-29-2004, 06:27 PM
http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/diy_ram_air.htm

jus did it. yes, you can feel the difference ;)

Did you remove the air filter completely? Even with a long hose I'd be concerned about stuff getting sucked down. And nothing personal but I'd like to see some dynos or 1/4 times before I believe that "I can feel the difference with a $20 plastic tube."

:?

L84THSKY
12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
I went to a half dozen Auto Zone stores, no one had the hose.

The link on this thread says to try wet-vac hose. I can get that very easy from Home Depot.

i got it at Autozone. it is actually a kit for those cheap short ram intake kits made by APC/some company like that. i was walking in the ricer aisle and happened to see some flexible plastic intake hosing that was an option for the intake they sold. i looked around more and saw the adapter that went with the hose. both the adapter and hose cost me a total of like $15.00.

aceyx
12-29-2004, 08:48 PM
i'd be worried that there's no longer enough air going to the brakes. trust me, these things are actually functional (i've lost them before hitting tire treads in the road and my rotors warped soon after).

chepas
12-30-2004, 12:06 AM
THIS IS HOW IT'LL LOOK, OR SOMETHING LIKE IT (I TRIED MY BEST). SPACE IS TO LIMITED TO TAKE PICS...IS UP TO YOU WHERE YOU MAKE THE HOLE INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE AIRBOX

Q;Did you remove the air filter completely?
A;NO I DIDN'T REMOVE THE AIR FILTER

Q;I went to a half dozen Auto Zone stores, no one had the hose.
The link on this thread says to try wet-vac hose. I can get that very easy from Home Depot.
A;I GOT IT AT PEPBOYS, WITH THE PERFECT LENGHT, DIAMETER AND CHEAP

Q;i'd be worried that there's no longer enough air going to the brakes. trust me, these things are actually functional (i've lost them before hitting tire treads in the road and my rotors warped soon after).
A; YOU'RE NOT GONNA BLOCK THE BRAKE DUCT COMPLETELY, IF I HIT MY CAR WITH WHATEVER I'LL FIX IT RIGHT AWAY...THAT'S JUS ME.

chepas
12-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Forgot The Pic....

this is how is set up on my '97 318ti, don't know about other year/model

L84THSKY
01-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I thought the idea was to not use the standard hose, and just take the hose from below directly into the airbox?

Forgot The Pic....

quillbro
05-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Forgot The Pic....

so you ran the 20$ hose to the standard airbox hose? or straight to the airbox?

Tyler
05-17-2005, 02:53 PM
I think i'm going to try this sometime this weekend.

quillbro
05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
I think i'm going to try this sometime this weekend.

can somebody help me with this??? I opened my airbox cover to find another wierd looking box attached to it. do i have to cut a hole in the airbox? or am i just stupid?

m44ic
05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
can somebody help me with this??? I opened my airbox cover to find another wierd looking box attached to it. do i have to cut a hole in the airbox? or am i just stupid?

that a resonator to quiet things, my advise would be to rip out all that crap and go buy a cone filter and attach it to the MAF sensor and relocate the intake temp sensor to the intake pipe. this will give bigger gains and better sound and will still be safe from water in the stock location unless you like to go pond hopping :biggrin:

quillbro
05-17-2005, 09:02 PM
that a resonator to quiet things, my advise would be to rip out all that crap and go buy a cone filter and attach it to the MAF sensor and relocate the intake temp sensor to the intake pipe. this will give bigger gains and better sound and will still be safe from water in the stock location unless you like to go pond hopping :biggrin:

will this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7974785475&rd=1

m44ic
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
will this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=7974785475&rd=1

I dunno but that looks like the inline six intake systems, Im tellin ya man if you want a intake but dont want to spend a lot of money cone filters clamp rite to the MAF sensor, if you are not sure about this you can look at the custom cold air system I made on my cardomain link below.

quillbro
05-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I dunno but that looks like the inline six intake systems, Im tellin ya man if you want a intake but dont want to spend a lot of money cone filters clamp rite to the MAF sensor, if you are not sure about this you can look at the custom cold air system I made on my cardomain link below.

I bought an intake and hooked it directly to the intake manifold. but now I have the temp sensor (i think) loose with nowhere to go. I took off the top of the airbox am not using it, but I left the bottom of the airbox in place because of the hose comming from the cooling fan to the airbox.

so.....now I just dont know what to do with the temp sensor I guess. should I just tape it to the side of the cone filter? or do I need to cut a hole in the MAF and glue it in there? i'll post a pic in a minute :help: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/941326/DSCF0001.JPG

m44ic
05-18-2005, 06:39 PM
I bought an intake and hooked it directly to the intake manifold. but now I have the temp sensor (i think) loose with nowhere to go. I took off the top of the airbox am not using it, but I left the bottom of the airbox in place because of the hose comming from the cooling fan to the airbox.

so.....now I just dont know what to do with the temp sensor I guess. should I just tape it to the side of the cone filter? or do I need to cut a hole in the MAF and glue it in there? i'll post a pic in a minute :help: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/941326/DSCF0001.JPG

it will work fine just sitting next to the intake, too

quillbro
05-18-2005, 06:44 PM
it will work fine just sitting next to the intake, too

ok i guess i'll take your word for it. Has anyone done this as well?

by the way what exactly did I do by not using the standard airbox anymore and instead using the cone filter?

its just supplying more air to the engine right?

m44ic
05-18-2005, 06:52 PM

by the way what exactly did I do by not using the standard airbox anymore and instead using the cone filter?

check out my cardomain link below

quillbro
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
well.....the engine definetly sounds healthier with the cone filter. when pulling from 2500-3800 it sounds very nice indeed :) alot like my audi 1.8T :2gun:

m44ic
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
glad to hear it

JPerfect
05-19-2005, 12:06 AM
i fogged my airbox a few months ago, with dryer duct hose, that aluminum stuff, and I channeled it down to the vents next to the fog light. The idea was to make it a RAM Air, and it worked, well i might add, but the dryer duct didn't last the winter, it fell off my car on the highway on my way to school one day, and the back pressure from it hanging underneath my car nearly stalled me. It was pretty freaky, but I immediately knew what it was, and now that it's not on there, it does feel a bit slower.

just my 2c

cali-ti
05-19-2005, 12:40 PM

"the tube coming from the cooling fan" you refer to, is that the air inlet that comes into the bottom of the stock airbox? as far as i remember, the only hose coming INTO the airbox is the stock air inlet (which is routed over the radiator in an insulated tube), but i could be wrong. if it IS the air inlet (follow it to the opposite end), then you can remove the airbox and the tube completely (like m44ic did - i know because i have his sitting in my garage :p).

theoretically, you're flowing more air, but you're also very likely getting hotter air from inside the engine compartment instead of cooler outside air from the stock inlet. you lose the stock sound dampening too (as you've noticed) ;)

96cali
05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Just want to make sure everyone is familiar with the original Fogger and the arguements for doing it.

http://www.logun.org/fog.htm

quillbro
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
"the tube coming from the cooling fan" you refer to, is that the air inlet that comes into the bottom of the stock airbox? as far as i remember, the only hose coming INTO the airbox is the stock air inlet (which is routed over the radiator in an insulated tube), but i could be wrong. if it IS the air inlet (follow it to the opposite end), then you can remove the airbox and the tube completely (like m44ic did - i know because i have his sitting in my garage :p).

theoretically, you're flowing more air, but you're also very likely getting hotter air from inside the engine compartment instead of cooler outside air from the stock inlet. you lose the stock sound dampening too (as you've noticed) ;)

yeah i left the lower section of the airbox because of the stock air inlet. so i think im gonna leave that there. If i were to remove that stuff then I dont thinnk the cone would be breathing as much. Id like to try to remove the metal piece to the side of the fog lights and then run a hose through the bumper there to the cone filter but I cant seem to be able to take off the metal piece. so im not sure what im going to do. But I still want to possibly "fog" it if theres a way.

m44ic
05-19-2005, 07:00 PM
yeah i left the lower section of the airbox because of the stock air inlet. so i think im gonna leave that there. If i were to remove that stuff then I dont thinnk the cone would be breathing as much. Id like to try to remove the metal piece to the side of the fog lights and then run a hose through the bumper there to the cone filter but I cant seem to be able to take off the metal piece. so im not sure what im going to do. But I still want to possibly "fog" it if theres a way.

I ran my intake right behind the headlight on purpose, I know that it doesnt bring in gobbs of air usually but when I go to the track I take my headlight out and the filter gets all the air it needs.

quillbro
05-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I ran my intake right behind the headlight on purpose, I know that it doesnt bring in gobbs of air usually but when I go to the track I take my headlight out and the filter gets all the air it needs.

i have a 96 z3 though.....i cant take out my headlights like that. And for some reason i cant seem to locate a good area to runa hose.....i have to look some more.

m44ic
05-19-2005, 08:52 PM
i have a 96 z3 though.....i cant take out my headlights like that. And for some reason i cant seem to locate a good area to runa hose.....i have to look some more.

sh!t your right I bet its tight in there.