PDA

View Full Version : rusty spark plug housing...

Etienne
06-09-2004, 12:28 AM
My car has been giving me some wierd problems the past couple months. I had posted about this before, but basically the car stutters and loses power when powering through second or third gear.

I replaced all sorts of intake stuff (some bad hoses etc), fuel filter and tried injector cleaners... but the problem wouldn't go away.

I recently had my car inspected and it was suggested that I replace my plugs and my ignition wires to solve the problem.

Not wanting to spend lot of money if it wasn't neccessary, I replaced my plugs (the autolite OE plugs) with Bosch platinum plugs. (the gap on the OE plugs was pretty large, about 2.5mm, is that normal?) However, when I pulled the third (from the front) plug, I noticed that there was some rust on the wire... and pulling the plug found condensation on it as well as rust. I wiped my finger around inside the housing and again.. rust (I am assuming it is rust by the reddish color and the fact that I couldn't think of what else it could possibly be).

I am assuming this is a very very bad thing.. no? Head gasket maybe
:? ?

Anyway, having replaced the spark plugs the car now runs worse :cry: .

should I go ahead and replace the wires, or is it time for surgery?

btw. It doesn't seem to be burning oil or losing coolant.. if that matters.

please advise...

thanks again.
Steven

ps. How much does it cost to replace the engine (95 1.8 ) with either the 1.8 or 1.9... 2.5?