PDA

View Full Version : Question: Full-Race Interior

ElementalFiend
06-12-2004, 07:13 AM
In the near future I am looking to gut the interior of my ti, in an attempt to lose weight and start with a fresh canvas for interior customization. I want to completely remove the back seat, all the carpeting and padding. The only things I want to leave would be what is necessary to keep rocks from flying up into the car, the two front seats (until I get race seats) and the dash/transmission/center console area.

I'm not worried about noise, my exhaust is loud enough that its going to hardly make a difference.

:?: My questions are:
-Is there anyone here who has done this to a ti?
-If so, is there anything I should be concerned about when I dip in and start pulling things out?
-I have been thinking about spraying the inside of the car with a layer of the black rubber that has become popular to put in truck beds, any thoughts on that?
-How easy is it to remove everything (seats in particular), will I need any special tools?
-Are the plastic parts inside the car (dash/door panels) paintable? Can it be sanded to a smoother surface?

Thanks.

ClubSport
06-12-2004, 08:07 AM
I've torn out everything other than speakers and headliner behind my front seats in an effort to drop some weight. The seats only need a torx bit to remove the center bolt holding them down. I forget what size but it's on there TIGHT with Loctite.

It's all non-destructive and easy to get back in in a couple hours.

I don't know why you want to put bedliner in the car. Noise reduction? It already has tarpaper like stuff stuck all over the floorpan and painted over.

schussey
06-12-2004, 08:32 AM
bedliner in the car is a pointless idea, as far as stripping down the interior goes, i don't think it is that bad.

Door panels remove easily, and I'm pretty sure the front seats are on super tight as ClubSport said. I think the size of the bit is 7/16, not completely sure though.

Also- what do you mean when you say you need something to keep rocks from coming into the car?

ElementalFiend
06-12-2004, 11:25 PM
I wasn't sure what the bottom of the car looked like. On some cars once you remove all the carpeting and everything there are exposed holes to the road. The bedliner would basically be for comfort, but it was a passing thought. Part of it was to cover the interior with black, which would go well with the orange exterior. Otherwise I have the red paint showing through since that is the cars original color.

schussey
06-13-2004, 01:19 AM
yea there are no exposing holes once everything is removed, from what i know at least

ElementalFiend
06-13-2004, 10:28 PM
cool, one less thing to worry about.