PDA

View Full Version : Question: Air Intake Systems

ElementalFiend
06-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm looking to throw out that filter hidden inside of a closed box and get a nice air intake system. I was wondering what you guys have and what you would recommend?

schussey
06-14-2004, 07:53 PM
you mean like a drop in filter for the stock intake box? I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking.....

ElementalFiend
06-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I mean completely throw away that box, and get an open air intake system, possibly cold air depending on pricing.

ElementalFiend
06-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Eh, I just realized there was a separate section for Air Intakes.. stupid me. Sorry for this post I'll go looking around there.

schussey
06-15-2004, 09:11 PM
ok- - so to get rid of the intake box. You could spend 400+ for dinan cold air intake, but that is hella pricey.

Then there is the K&N system, which does not have a heat sheild, completely pointless, for it would just suck up hot air.

I would recommend a DIY airbox mod, such as the "fogged airbox" or "debaffle."

Directions for the fogged airbox can be found at www.mz3.net

The "de baffle" mod is something that I did, and am impressed as to how it performs. If you want directions on how to do it, email me at schussey@msn.com

robcarync
12-07-2004, 10:15 PM
bump for the de baffle mod...got me curious...just wondering how difficult it is to do?

GDB
12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I thought only the normal E36's could be debaffled. Maybe I'm wrong. Enlighten us schussey

robcarync
12-08-2004, 05:28 AM
I dont know what 'debaffled' means...i guess you could say i am a bit baffled at the term debaffled...

haha! that was PUNNY!

wow im so silly!

jigg60
12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
I dont know what 'debaffled' means...i guess you could say i am a bit baffled at the term debaffled...

haha! that was PUNNY!

wow im so silly!

I think that "debaffling" refers to removing the restrictive "guts" inside the factory airbox. Some feel that this improves airflow, which yields performance gains.

schussey
12-11-2004, 05:03 AM
yea basically all you do is take out the internal piping from the stock airbox. Inside the acutall tub part of the box, and there is also a piece you can remove from the inner lid part of the airbox.

hope this helps, feel free to ask me if you have anymore questions about doing it

-chris

GDB
12-11-2004, 05:46 PM
hmmm, looks like i just got another christmas break project to work on.

schussey
12-11-2004, 08:38 PM
yea i have my ever on-going interior project to do....

motorsport
12-20-2004, 12:52 AM
it is actually a very simple process. There are 2 'baffles' in the airbox that act as silencers. Im not sure about the M44 motor cause it has a different intake layout. But for the M42 you just snap the lid off the airbox, take the filter out, and pull out the baffles they look like cones. To get them out there are some tabs that you have to push and kinda tug on that is the hardest part. Just pull them out when you find out how, but i recommend saving them incase you ever want to sell your car.

gooten1
12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
The K&N is the cheap mod...but it actually does more than you give it credit for. Sounds better, helps acceleration...it's a step between factory and a CAI. I'm still planning on making a heat shield for it, and find a way to duct cool air into the shield.