PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

tach
06-20-2004, 01:20 AM
I have a 1995 318ti...I'm sure everyone assumed it was a ti. Anyways, I'm looking into several mods:
1. coilovers - does anyone have any suggestions on brand?
2. M3 motor - once again, any suggestions? places in LA that I can look for good prices on one? 3.0L or 3.2L? any other modifications that will need to be made if I drop the M3 motor?
3. cold air intake - good or bad idea? brand? effective? experienced input?

the other mods I have pretty together. Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.

schussey
06-20-2004, 06:23 PM
browse through the intake section, you will find great awnsers

ElementalFiend
06-25-2004, 12:40 AM
from what I've read the cold air intake isn't a good idea.. seems weird but after reading the forum thats the impression I got. The fogged air-box method seems to be favored the most.

318tibimmer
06-27-2004, 12:50 AM
I have messed arround with both the foged airbox and the CAI and I must say that I much perfer the CAI - yes it is a little louder, but you also get more performance (if you do CAI make sure that you get one that goes all the way down into your bumper) Makes a big difference also.

Viper3812
08-27-2004, 03:49 AM
Go for some Bilstein Pss9's

1rstbmw!
10-03-2004, 01:35 AM
I have a 1998 318ti does anyone know how much a cai for this model runs on prices?

barische
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
cosmo racing is selling cold air intake systems and they are 120-130 bucks with shipping. i just got a short ram intake from then but i had problems wiht the installation so im still searching for answers to how to do it properly. i think i just figured it out, so i might try to do it tomorrow. cosmo racing has nice filters and pipes. and they dont cost u an arm and a leg like dinan intake systems which are over 250 bucks i think.
i say go wiht cosmo, but its ur decision and its ur car. good luck searching.

barische
10-06-2004, 11:51 PM
i just installed my new intake system from cosmo racing. the installation went pretty good. the started the car and it sounds much louder, and even though when the hood is closed the car still sounds loud. there is very little increase in performance but it is noticeable. i mean it is billion times better than the stupid airbox. if u want a intake with nice sound and performance go with cosmo they have the system down pretty good. the total installation costed me 94 bucks. 65 for the intake 15 for the shipping. 13 bucks for the air breather.
seems very cheap for 5-10 hp.

gooten1
10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking of making my own intake. I don't have the foglights...could I just take out the stock air box, run a 3 in. pipe from the air flow meter down behind the bumper, and put a cone filter on it? Remove the cover for where the fog light should be?

barische
10-15-2004, 01:10 AM
i think it is possibble for u to make one but u have make a little hole in the intaake pipe for temperature sensor. also u need some metals to hold the intake in place when u install it. now that my engine got used to the intake the car sounds so much more louder even at 2000 rpm after i pass 3000 rpm the engine becomes a total crazy loud ass car and i love the sound. i am also trying to get a new louder exhaust. good luck wiht the intake.

fri3daz3
11-09-2004, 10:46 PM
I cant find a CAI for my 1995 TI!! Somebody help! All I've found was a short ram from BAvarian Auto and from Electrodyne.

NEKO
11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
I was searching the net for a cold air intake for my 97 and came across a toucan cold air intake. They are only $49.72.

formance/index.php?makeid=bm&model=318ti&year=1997&part=cold_air_intake&part_brand=toucan#

weezer
11-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Can someone clear this cold air intake thing for me.
I recently got one and since the piping does not have an outlet for the air temp sensor and a hole for the air pump, I assumed I got the wrong item. Or is there anyway for me to install it anyway?

Thanks

robcarync
11-16-2004, 12:24 AM
http://www.cosmoracing.com has CAI....

im still thinking about getting one...but i kinda have the same question as weezer...i read about some CAI's having a temp sensor or something like that that goes into the pipe...and i dont know how that will work out with an installation...

barische
11-17-2004, 12:07 AM
get cosmo racing cai they got the system down and its a good fit but u have to relocate one of the horns of the headlights. other than that its not expenseive $130 and looks good to me

gooten1
11-18-2004, 04:42 AM
about the temp sensor????? what's the story? anyone have one of these in their car?

barische
11-20-2004, 03:57 AM
there is an opening for hte temp sensor yeas i said its a perfect fit. but u might end up relocating one of the horns of the head lights because u need clearence for the pipe to go down in to fender. go open up ur hood and take a look, **** if u have stock airbox u migiht not be able to see it. go see it for urself. other then the horn. everythuing else fits fine.

barische
11-20-2004, 04:01 AM
Can someone clear this cold air intake thing for me.
I recently got one and since the piping does not have an outlet for the air temp sensor and a hole for the air pump, I assumed I got the wrong item. Or is there anyway for me to install it anyway?

Thanks
man, that air pump. ui ahev the same thing i think wiht 97 models they got another pipe taht is going to air pump, u just need to get a air breather and put that for that air pump. when it comes to temp sensor. it is really important taht u stick that sensor in the pipe. becasue sensor reads the temp of the air and it effects the air/fuel ratio because if u have colder air it means that u are gettin denser air, which is alot more fuller and richer air. if u dont have that sensor in right place then, sensor will read the temp of the engine compartment, and that will create some ****ty air/fuel ratio...... i guess.

barische
11-20-2004, 04:04 AM
I was searching the net for a cold air intake for my 97 and came across a toucan cold air intake. They are only $49.72.

formance/index.php?makeid=bm&model=318ti&year=1997&part=cold_air_intake&part_brand=toucan#
toucan dont have opening for temp sensor. go wiht some thing else. best choice u can make is a dinan cai but that like 400 bucks, but if u wnat some thing cheaper, go wiht cosmo racing- they make just fine intakes. i got one its just great, im happy wiht the perf and sound of my engine. it feels like im in a 8 cylinder car at full throttle acceleration.