PDA

View Full Version : I need a hand.

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 01:37 AM
So i have 3 Dme's and none are responding in my car (s50 swap BTW) im getting power and my relay clicks on allowing my ignition power and 2 nd battery power to come on and all my main grounds are good at the x6000. so i have a feeling i have three toasted dmes (as Unlikely as it sounds). i really need some way to test these and i have no way too so im reaching out and i am willing to pay anyone who can test the dme's i will pay for shipping both ways and cash for your time.

* you do need a swapped Ti, or any 6 cyl Vanos e36 to test them.

Thanks,
Paul

cooljess76
09-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Sounds like you need to get your ews aligned. The DME needs to match the transponder chip in the key and the ews module behind the glove compartment.

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Should have stated that as well No EWS red label 413's and ews wire is snipped #7 im 8 months deep into this swap i wish it was something that simple. im literally banging my head against a wall right now. Car cranks fine Dme's will not power up and throw a check engine or fuel/spark. EWS is not the issue had it checked with carsoft everything was OK!. haha

As well as my swap car being a 1995 not the 96 in my profile.

bmwconnect
09-18-2010, 06:50 AM
It is certainly EWS2 .... there is no way to just bypass ews(2) by cutting out wires. the only way is to get a chip for your dme that has ews delete or take the ews code from your ori motor ecu and place it on the 413 chip

Also carsoft(clonetool) is no good as it will tell you thing's that are not true... INPA or BMW DIS is the only software that can correcly read errors and reset adaption with the correct hardware

Regards|

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Really now that would make my dme not power up? the car cranks fine, a few people thought it was ews hence getting a 413 dme thinking it would work if the ews wire was cut i have a feeling it might be ews as well but am very unsure at this point.

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Really now that would make my dme not power up? the car cranks fine, a few people thought it was ews hence getting a 413 dme thinking it would work if the ews wire was cut i have a feeling it might be ews as well but am very unsure at this point.

EWS delete chip and your problems go away. No spark or fuel on 3 DME's, what is the odds of that? You have a EWS-II system, you can not disable this with a wire cut. I know EWS-II very well and there is no way to disable EWS-II. There is a communication between the DME and the EWS. If the ISN does not match there is no fuel or spark. That is why BMW's with EWS-II are not stolen without a key or a flat-bed truck. There is no way around this without a chip in your case. Your lucky you can change the chip. On DME's without a removable chip your DME is junk without the matching EWS and Key chip. If you choose not to buy the disable chip and still have your original DME you can have the EWS code burned on the 413's chip and that will work too.

Best of luck, John S

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 07:38 AM
holy crap i hope you guys are right cause ive been on the hunt for months now and i was under the impression that if you have a 413 dme you can simply cut wire #7 and be on your way. the thing is the car doesnt have a check engine light either. it wont come on when turned into the on position would this have to do with ews as well? it wont let the DME power up?

I know my chassis was ews 2 but i thought EWS only posed a problem when putting an EWS Dme into a NON-EWS car?

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Barrie, will you answer this to confirm?

I know EWS-II can not be disabled with a wire cut. The cars EWS is looking for a ISN from the DME to match. Turn key on: EWS queries DME for ISN, when it gets this it checks for a match with EWS and Key Chip, if all match then it sends a code back to the DME telling it "ok" turn on the fuel pump and spark.

Starter function is only key chip EWS match so if your key6 is the original for the car then the EWS is working correctly by allowing it to crank over. There is no ISN check for starter.

ISN = individual serial number

I'm full of $hit and don't know if this is true ok

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-18-2010, 08:26 AM
You know I might be in some areas I don't know about. It makes sense that a DME that is EWS won't work in a car without EWS since it can't get it's "Ok" to turn on fuel and spark but a Non EWS DME should work in a car that has EWS.

Question: Is the cars EWS-II not allowing your DME's to fire because they are not matching the ISN. Does the EWS-II need to be removed from the car for it to work? Another issue is I know my check engine light is on when there is an EWS issue, are you sure the light is not burned out?

I just don't know. So at this point I'm not sure what is the right answer. I'm just as lost as you. We need to wait until Barrie wakes up so he can chime in and answer some questions for us.

I'm lost and I'm not afraid to admit it:confused:

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Shot in the dark. Have you checked your unloader relay? Is it working? Do all items not needed like radio, headlights, dome lights, etc. go out when you turn the key to the start position?

Just a shot in the dark, it's getting late

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 04:39 PM
jeez that was a mouthful haha, all relays work all electronics stay on when the car cranks ALL relays are tested good and my fuel pump primes when the car is turned to thr run position, and my checkengine light is fine i've taken it out tested the bulb comes on, and then jumped it out from the x6000 pin #8 came right on. Ive also gone and checked all my grounds and hots at the x6000 witch all react properly.

Well i guess we'll have to wait and see if anyone here knows about this or knows a good shop in the northeast that wont break my wallet.

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Spoke with Barrie and here is the deal

M3
E36
S50us/B30
1/95-->
0 261 200 413
Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/EWS-II

If the numbers match this is what you have and it will need a EWS delete chip and the cut wires re-connected. Your red labdel 413 is a EWS-II DME. This is per Barrie who has corrected this issue for customers on a few occasions. The DME will not do anything until the EWS delete chip is installed, no CEL or anything, it is dead until the cut wires are connected and chip installed. per Barrie

What I do is bench flashing on non-chip based DME's or 88pin DME's OBD-II k-line communication DME's. I also can flash chips based DME's with a Willem flasher. Barrie writes all code and flashes chips and does flashing of all non-chip DME's in Canada. I'm US based and he is Canada based.

PS ~ Your unloader relay is not working correctly since it is not unloading items for the start function which is directly related to the EWS-II not allowing the DME to turn on. Barrie and I are in agreement on this now and I have learned that all red label DME's are not EWS-I they can be EWS-II as the part numbr above stated when we looked it up.

Best, John S

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 10:41 PM
WOW so wait you can flash chips john? i just looked at my DME's and the red 413 have that number so they HAVE ews II which would make the most sense as the car cranks but nothing else happens.

And im also going to say that all 506 ecu's have EWS II as i have a silver label 506.

Also both of my red labels are from 325's 1994 or earlier prod date i believe so not sure whats going on there. but i was under the impression they did not have ews as for the 506 i think that does.

1996 318ti NY
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
As per this article http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-DME-Repair/E36-DME-Repair.htm

NONE of My Dme's have EWS II all are pre 1995.

bmwconnect
09-18-2010, 11:51 PM
My understanding was you were running
E36
M50tu/B25
1/95-->
0 261 200 413
Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II

or

M3
E36
S50us/B30
1/95-->
0 261 200 413
Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/EWS-II

but If you are running this ecu \/
E36
M50tu/B25
9/92-12/94
0 261 200 413
Bosch Motronic M3.3.1

Then you have other problems

1996 318ti NY
09-19-2010, 12:24 AM
....and thats why i was aslking if someone could test me DME's cause NONE have EWS

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-19-2010, 01:18 AM
....and thats why i was aslking if someone could test me DME's cause NONE have EWS

Dude no where in you posts do you say your DME's are pre 1995. We need to communicate here. We are trying to help you. Your DME's are most likely not the problem. If you want someone to test them I can not help you nor can Barrie. With that said until you get a person will to test your DME's on there car I suggest we try some tests.

Since you checked your grounds on the DME (all brown) will you please check your positive to ground on the DME harness to ensure it is getting 12 volts. Please give me the pin nunbers you checked. This way we can eliminate the chance that the DME is not getting voltage to power up.

Thanks, John Smith

cooljess76
09-19-2010, 01:29 AM
I'll just throw this out there, probably wrong, but does your motor have a fuel pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail? IIRC some of the later M50/S50's had the FPR mounted under the car by the fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail.

1996 318ti NY
09-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Thought i said it in my original post or atleast stated they are Red label 413's which is pre 1995. FPR is on the fuel rail.
I have Power at pins 54, 56, and 26 and i forgot the other pins but 54,56 power up when i jump out the ECM relay at pin 27 so i'm positive they are all working. also there were multiple grounds that responded but my main ones were 15 and 34 and they worked fine.

Sorry about the post so many people state EWS that i sometimes see my self believeing it. and John thanks for communicating so much already!

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-19-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm out, can't help. Good luck

wolferj-RIP
09-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Paul;

PM me, I will be happy to try all three of them in my car. My setup is basically identical to yours...