PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Subwoofer

BlkBMWLvr
06-25-2004, 03:01 AM
I am a bit different than most in that I want to add base but don't want to lose any of the trunk space that I have. I would love to put a small 8inch or 10" sub in the side of the trunk. Has anyone done this? I saw someones side custom enclosure but even that was too big. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

Rob

justin320
07-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Not exactly a 318ti experience, but I had a 10" sub with an amp to power it in the trunk of my 320i. It definitely took care of the bass. The amp you can mount almost anywhere and the box was something like 12"x12"x5". If even that is too big for you, try an 8" sub. With a good speaker and a big amp, that should take care of you.

clex2
07-08-2004, 12:25 AM
I just bought a Kenwood Woox. This is a very compact sub that I am currently mounting on a secure but not permanent board to fit on the driver side trunk area just under the CD changer. I have yet to hook it up to listen to it, but I have read very good things about it. Have a look at it. It doesn't take up much space, just as I wanted. The mounting is going to be very elegant when I am done. It's not going to blow the doors off, but it will add just the right amount of tight bass to the existing factory setup.

clex2
07-19-2004, 04:34 AM
Here is a pic of the sub installed in the hatch.

http://bimmerboard.com/members/clex2/subwoofer.JPG

318tibimmer
07-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I can't Imagine having a Sub like that, there is no way - it looks like it is made of plastic. If you want a sub, go get a decent enclosure made at a car audio store. Just because it is Kenwood doesn't mean that it is good. Don't go buy something cheap.

clex2
07-20-2004, 04:59 AM
"Good" can be subjective. Before I bought this, I read a few reviews on it, all of them were favorable. This was not meant to blow the windows out, just meant to add bass to the stock speaker system while not taking up the whole trunk. It is, by the way, made of plastic, but how is that bad? I can tell you that this "little plastic box" is very impressive for it's size. I wouldn't go judging a sound system on how it looks, but rather how it sounds.

318tibimmer
07-20-2004, 07:09 AM
I am a big one, on "How it sounds" and from experience, depending on what type of music you listen to, most people should get a Sealed Wooden box for a subwoofer. I have spent many many hours on quite a few sound systems - I HATE Distortion - If you listen to a sub that is in a nice 1/2" MDF Box it sounds a lot better than that in a 1/8" plastic enclosure. One of the biggest problems is that because it is made of plastic it is easier for it to break, and you also get sound from the back of the cone on the woofer (Dirty sound). If your not an audio freak I guess it doesn't matter. But I would rather spend some money on a nice little custom box that holds 1 8" sub and is going to last and sound excelent, than to spend money on some plastic, that will eventually rattle loose (probibly).

I will admit that I have a larger sub setup that 'can' be very loud. I have 2 JL 12" 12W0 4ohm - Running at 2ohms on a Directed 600D Amp - In a custom Box made of 1/2" MDF. = 146.2Db <- Very loud - like I said tho I don't have it up that loud I don't want to go deaf

Stomp
08-10-2004, 07:35 PM
I added 3 10" JL's (old school) in a slant-bandpass. It sounds OK. I think next time I will go with two 12"s. Anyway, I lost about 1/3 of the floor in the trunk.
I guess it's really up to the owner to decide what he/she is looking to acheive.

CMM83
08-11-2004, 08:18 PM
318tiBimmer: You are probably right about the box material, but for a non-audiophile who is just looking to fill in some of the lows in their system without killing their wallet or all the space in the hatch, the Woox seems to fit the bill nicely.

And remember...it would be very hard for someone with a killer sound system to move down to a little sub in a plastic box, but for someone who has been dealing with the factory nokia system something like this would sound amazing.

first_bmw
08-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I dont know, I have been debating the WooX for about a week now, I dont want to sacrafice trunk space, this car is small enough already. and I am Use to what I currently have which is just the factory speakers with a rockford fosgate mp3 deck.
I personally think my stereo sounds good. but it cantly handle any type of bass above moderate levels. so hence I was reading the reviews of the WooX.
I also like the fact that it is powered, thus meaning I dont need seperate set-ups for the amp and the box... I am sure it would be a huge improvement to the stock set up, right ?!? the only other way i see is to add a box, which is Boxy, and takes up more room than I want to sacrafice. any other thoughts ?!?

Silver00spike
09-02-2004, 04:19 PM
I made a false floor setup for my trunk, which holds a 10" Kicker S10L7, and an Orion 4004 amp. It raises the floor by about 3". I will include the sub, but no amp. Asking $450+shipping. If interested, email me for more info.

1985mercurylynx
09-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Clex,

Now that you have had the Woox for a while, do you still like it? I am thinking of putting one in mine. Anyone who has some experience with this please chime in. Thanks.

Tyler
09-14-2004, 03:27 AM
I believe on the bavarian auto website they sell a powered sub that is small,and won't take up that much trunk space. It's an infinity and it's a little pricey,like $500. But i'm sure if you shop around you could find one cheaper. I don't have it so i don't know how it sounds,but it doesn't take up that much space. I posted a pic of what i have in my car in the picture album. I didn't buy this for this car,i took it out of my Saab and installed it in my ti.

clex2
09-14-2004, 04:47 AM
The Woox has been awesome. I know that others on this thread look down on this small sub, but for my purposes, I couldn't ask for more. It adds more than enough bass for my taste, sounds great to me, and takes up hardly any space. It is mounted securely to the floor board, hooking into the two holes for the rubber straps. For $160, I can't beat it.

dazen13
09-15-2004, 01:47 AM
I like the kicker solo baric series... It's very loud, very clear and in its custom box, very thin. Check it out.

1985mercurylynx
09-15-2004, 03:51 AM
I'm going Woox. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but the lack of any sub at all is hurting me. Thanks Clex.

ClubSport332ti
09-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Send me an email. I have a custom fiberglass sub with two JL 10's. It is very steath. It is a custom job false floor set up. If you lookinto the rear trunk you cant even tell it is there! That took a lot of planning and money to have built. And fiberglass is extrememly light as well as not using a lot of thick MDF.