PDA

View Full Version : Driver seat is moving around!

brucelee
06-25-2004, 01:42 PM
My driver's seat has some lateral motion in it that is def. not stock. BMW tells me I need new seat rails and that installed, we are talking over $500.

Anyone confront this and have a less draconian solution?

Thanks

hotdog19d
06-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Could you just rebend the rails? Are the tracks just worn? I have never heard of this, my seat didnt even have lateral motion when I rolled my first TI 3 times! If worst comes to worst I'm sure you can get a used seat much cheaper than that.

clex2
06-25-2004, 04:58 PM
This is an inherent problem of all ti seats. It is a problem with the design. But, there is a special BMW tool made to correct this, but it is not easy to use. Basically, the seat rails have a "c" shaped metal guide holding the plastic rail guide. Over time, the guide wears a little, and the seat rail becomes loose. The tool requires you to remove the seat from the car and remove the seat cushion. Then you place this tool around the seat rail and screw it down to clamp the rail tighter. The risk is if you tighten it too much, you can "lock" the seat in place. The tool is seldom used at the dealer. They let me borrow it. The techs hate to do this repair. I fixxed my rocking, for a while, then it slowly comes back. Live with it or buy aftermarket seats.

ElementalFiend
06-25-2004, 11:51 PM
at $500 you could throw out that seat and get a nice racing bucket seat ;)

bimmerboi318
06-26-2004, 02:38 AM
yeah, when we get seats like that at the dealer, we throw them out (or save them if warranty). but the only practical way is to get new seat rails or maybe a nice set of used seats? that's what i'd do.

ddiorio1313
08-19-2004, 05:20 PM
The same thing happened to me aswell. When I first got my car the seats where awesome...after about 6 months to a year they started to squeek and rock. I took it in cuz it was under warranty and they adjusted the rails. It was great for about another year now it is awful. I can feel the shift left to right all the time and the squeek isn't as bad, but it still squeeks once and a while. Once I get this sucker paid off I will probably invest in some racing type seats. Anyone know if the make a racing type seat that is suitable for long trips. I take at lesat 2-3 2000 mile trips a year and I don't want to be uncomfortable....I don't 5 buckle harness and all that....