PDA

View Full Version : Light Out - Instrument Cluster

bella2179
07-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Got a light out.....Looks like the light in the speedometer is out...Need some advice, directions, help with opening the instrument cluster and replacing all bulbs. Part numbers for the bulbs would be great too!! I called the dealer, they would like $150 just for labor! I am hoping I can manage this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also where can I find a package shelf for the cargo/hatch area. Mine is looking a little faded.

Thank you!

98ti M Badge

318tibimmer
07-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Hello, it is actually really easy to do - there are 2 screws on the upper part of the cluster pointing almost straight up (philips), when you get them out if you use your fingernail to kinda pry the top down and pull it out. there are 3 connections on the back of the cluster (Small Black, White, and Blue). on the connectors there is a little place that you press down tward the rest of the connector and then you pull the lever on the connector up and it disconnects. repeat on all 3 connectors. It is a tight fit, I have had best luck sliding the cluster out to the right, tward the console. Once you have it out, just look at the back you will see that there are 3 big green light holders they are rectangular on the top and circle on the bottom. with a half twist they come out, then the light inside just pulls straight out. replace with other bulb - I know they are 12Volt 3Watt Bulbs. Replace all that are needed, then in put the cluster back in the car.

1996 328ti
07-16-2004, 12:33 AM
You mean the odometer, don't you?
I would also suggest replacing th elights behind the headlight and foglight switches since they are on all the time also.

yeehawbob
09-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Please see if one of you can point to the sockets on the attached picture of the instrument cluster.

1996 328ti
09-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Is it the odo bulb you are looking for?