PDA

View Full Version : time attack @ PGP

Jean H.318TI
11-11-2010, 05:09 AM
its official now guys, im finally done with illegal street racing and now im gonna be doing something more legal :rolleyes: this sunday im gonna be running my first event at an actual track, hope everything goes as plan and we will see how good the TI does vs. the bigger brothers :eek:

im gonna be running with the RWD guys and im gonna have some in-car footage, wish me luck guys :wink:

heres a test video of my camera and camera mount (turn up the volume and enjoy)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150119623377818&saved#!/video/video.php?v=10150119623377818

mohaughn
11-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Glad to see you taking it to a track. Don't be disappointed if you find that a car that should be slower than yours is faster.. Being quick on track is all about seat time..

I would highly suggest finding an experienced person, and asking them to help you out with in car instruction. There is a little track locally that does time attack events and they provide no type of instruction and I've found that some people kind of struggle to get up to speed without the instruction.

The most important thing though, have a blast!

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 01:33 AM
yeah i know im just gonna go there and have fun, dont really matter what the results are, i know my car is slow and im not a pro driver so yeah lol

just going to gain some expirience and have a blast :)

tiFreak
11-12-2010, 01:37 AM
I always place pretty low when I autocross, I don't really mind though because I can have fun without risking getting arrested ;)

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 01:38 AM
yeah exactly

cooljess76
11-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Drive it like you stole it!

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 01:52 AM
always lol

1996 328ti
11-12-2010, 02:21 AM
I don't know how structured time attack is.
By me I think instructors were optional if it's who I'm thinking.

If you have no track experience, get someone in the right seat.
I've been at it +12 years. :)

dhong089
11-12-2010, 03:59 AM
haha i just added u on facebook xD sorry if it seems weird...

but nice ti , i enjoyed the video :)

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 04:34 AM
its all good dont worry about it

BimmerBum
11-12-2010, 06:20 AM
:clap:

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 07:27 AM
any tips on what to do to the car like tire pressure or little stuff like that?

cooljess76
11-12-2010, 08:32 AM
any tips on what to do to the car like tire pressure or little stuff like that?

It's gonna feel funny wearing a helmet for the first time. Makes it harder to see what's in your blind spots. I normally drive with my seat all the way back on the street, but on the track you'll want to run it a little more forward and upright. Adjust your seatbelt nice and snug around your waist.

Your two biggest concerns are going to be cooling system and brakes. Don't be surprised if your brakes fade, they're gonna get hot. Take note and/or perhaps keep a journal of all of your current settings and adjustments made throughout the day as well as lap times, track conditions, temperatures, tire pressures etc. Since this is your first time, try not to change too much, just get a good feel of how your car handles in it's current state.

As Steven mentioned, try to get an instructor to ride with you, it'll really help.

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
okay thanks jess :)

cooljess76
11-12-2010, 08:58 AM
and take lots of pictures, a nice shot of your hellrot on 3 wheels would be epic:biggrin:

I just bought a tiny little MD-80 HD spycam, once I get my car going I really want to get some footage from under the car, like the tranny mounts & driveshaft, differential & axles, suspension and maybe even make a rig to capture the tires and brakes in action. The engine compartment is pretty dark, but i think it'd be really cool to see the motor mounts and maybe the beltdrive, lol.

1996 328ti
11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't know about street tires, but I like my R-comps to be at 40 front and rear, HOT.
I usually start at 36 front 34 rear. See if you can get your air pressures as soon as you can when they are at their hottest. But that is on a road course where I'm going to have several continuous laps.

Is Time Attack pretty much a time trial?

Some people use shoe polish on the edges of the tire to see where they roll.
The only real way is with a pyrometer. You are nowhere at that stage. Yet. :)

If you feel the back coming around, DON'T LIFT (jump off the throttle). You will only transfer more weight to the rear and spin. The best thing is to open the wheel gently if you have room and breathe gently off the throttle.

These cars have fuel starvation at just below 1/2 tank on sweepers.

If you have to drive off track, drive off. Don't force the car back on.

Check wheel bolts, only when cool.
Check oil.
On straights glance down at your water temp.

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
okay thanks guys, im gonna try 40F AND 38R and then see how that works, i have 2 hours practice before the actual time attack.

and for those that are a little confused about time attack

A time attack is another term for time trial. The term is commonly used in Japan for individual time trial events for motor vehicles that involves a vehicle running around the circuit in lieu of a qualifying lap and the term is widely adopted outside the country for tuner event and media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip8RZQFKB7s

cooljess76
11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Jean that looks really cool man. I didn't realize you'd be getting that much track time. How much does this event cost? Sucks they bump you up a class for running R comp tires, but I totally understand why. They give you an unfair advantage if you're going against cars with street tires. When I had shaved Toyo RA1's on my car, it stuck to the ground like a cat on carpet. Haven't tried the Yokohama R comps on my ti yet, but when I ran them on my Bimmers in Europe they held really well. If you're running street tires right now, I'll say that upgrading to sticky rubber will be the single most effective mod you can do to improve handling and ultimately go faster. The only thing that sucks about R compound tires is that they kick up a lot of rocks. So if someone goes off track and the track gets dirt and gravel on it, you stand a good chance of getting rock chips, cracked headlights, foglights or windshield.

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 11:34 PM
only $85
i have street tires now, hankook rs2.

im so excited for this, cant wait for sunday

cooljess76
11-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention. Nothing is worse than coolant on the track. It's almost as slippery as oil. I think I remember hearing someone at the track near my house say they made people run straight water in their radiators. I could be mistaken and anyway I'm sure that's not going to be the case at your event, but I just thought of it because our cars are notorious for those two plastic coolant fittings breaking and dumping nearly two gallons of coolant instantaneously. You don't want to be "that guy" that they have to shut down the track for to clean up a spill. So maybe not this time, but if you plan on doing these events often, you might consider replacing all of those plastic cooling system pieces that are prone to fail:wink:

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 11:45 PM
yeah i ran over coolant in one of the street runs on the twisties and it wasnt fun, i almost end up crashing, and yeah i always keep and eye on the coolant system and i have the silicone hoses too and i run straight water with watter wetter

Jean H.318TI
11-12-2010, 11:51 PM
yeah i bet lol

1996 328ti
11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
You really need to get some driving schools under your belt.

Jean H.318TI
11-13-2010, 12:15 AM
yeah i know, im just going to this to have fun and trying to keep it out of the streets

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 04:21 AM
well i finally did my first track day, it was awesome, had lots of fun, car was awesome too.

got the 3rd place on the novice, i was the second slowest car and still did pretty good, im so happy

BimmerBum
11-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Awesome! Glad you had a good day!

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 04:28 AM
thanks. some pics and video coming soon

1996 328ti
11-15-2010, 04:43 AM
well i finally did my first track day, it was awesome, had lots of fun, car was awesome too.

got the 3rd place on the novice, i was the second slowest car and still did pretty good, im so happy
Anytime you can drive your car home, it's a good day at the track.

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 04:48 AM
hahahaha yeah i guess, spun out couple time but other than that it was pretty good, i learn alot and by my last pass i was 2 sec faster than my first run after practice, and then i had 2 more practice sections after the even was over, so i got some pretty good seat time and in the rain :D

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 05:23 AM
some pics :wink:

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 08:17 AM
first practice sesion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5uv1Y1JJM

reverse course practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZbsuABjrw

reverse course sesion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=detSnDwwjt8

3rd round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBU3GPKVz48

brothers jetta practice run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE7bOrNKS0A

BimmerBum
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
first practice sesion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5uv1Y1JJM

Nice job hanging with the Z4 in the wet!

Are you mostly hanging out in 2nd? Do you have software of any kind? 500 extra rpm meant the world to me in autoX.

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 08:42 AM
yeah did faster time than the z4 and the mcoupe, yeah i have barries software with 7000rpms now but gonna have 7300rpms next week and few more tweaks on the tune so a little more power and more rpms :)

cooljess76
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
DUDE! I didn't realize it was a gocart track, lol. You never got past 2nd gear:frown: That's basically an autocross minus the cones.

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
yeah i know 3rd gear is used 2 times on the straight parts

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 07:50 PM
all videos are up, check previous posts :) enjoy

FMD
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
looks like it was a good time :cool:

Jean H.318TI
11-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Hell yeah had lots of fun

Jean H.318TI
11-30-2010, 08:50 AM
coudnt make it this weekend cuz snow and my car just blew another rear shock WTF is up with the rear bilsteins, thats the second schock in less than a year, i dont really like this bilsteins anymore and the front feels like is loosing the stiffness too, what do u guys think, go with koni struts or go with coilovers, is there really a good difference for the price or no really? between the coilpver setup and the strut/spring setup, also what other suspension options do i have now that the car is gonna be pretty much a race car for the street, i wanna go with stiffer springs too, around 600 - 800# or so, would the sport springs or coil over handle those rates on the springs?

sorry too many questions that im asking at once, hope some1 understands what im trying to say and can give me some answers ;)

mohaughn
01-03-2011, 10:17 PM
coudnt make it this weekend cuz snow and my car just blew another rear shock WTF is up with the rear bilsteins, thats the second schock in less than a year, i dont really like this bilsteins anymore and the front feels like is loosing the stiffness too, what do u guys think, go with koni struts or go with coilovers, is there really a good difference for the price or no really? between the coilpver setup and the strut/spring setup, also what other suspension options do i have now that the car is gonna be pretty much a race car for the street, i wanna go with stiffer springs too, around 600 - 800# or so, would the sport springs or coil over handle those rates on the springs?

sorry too many questions that im asking at once, hope some1 understands what im trying to say and can give me some answers ;)

Regular koni yellows and bilsteins won't handle those spring rates. The TCKline DA konis are valved to handle higher spring rates and I think somewhere around 750 or 800 is their limit. It is pretty difficult to do a true dual duty suspension setup with 800# springs and have it be good at both track and street. At the 700 to 800# range, I would think the money is well spent to buy the higher end equipment. Check out the groundcontol systems as I think they can do custom valving on koni shocks.

If you are blowing bilsteins pretty quickly, they are either oversprung or your ride height in the rear is to low and you are constantly bottoming them out. You can put a ziptie on the shock piston and see if it is against your bumpstomps after being on track if you are bottoming out or not. You can also check spring bind in a similar fashion, put a zip tie around the spring in the middle of the coil. If the spring binds, it will more than likely cut through or heavily mark the ziptie.

Jean H.318TI
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
yeah i think im gonna go with GC but thats gonna have to wait a little longer and also i dont mind the stiffness of the higher springs

slow_ti
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Coil overs bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk