PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 (non Ipod) Addition

Frank318ti
07-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey, I have a 96 318ti, and my current plans are to add my mp3 player to the car so it will play directly into my head unit. I've seen the device that can modify the cd changer port in the trunk into two RCAs but i don't want to put my mp3 player in the trunk. So my question is: Is it posible to directly link this device to the back of the head unit and then run a rca to headphone out of the dash? Or is there someother way to get a headphone jack signal into the headunit?
Thanks
Frank

96cali
07-27-2004, 09:11 PM
For what it's worth the Nakamichi CD400 matches our lighting well and has RCA inputs on the back. The RCA-minijack cable is had at Best Buy.

John Grant
08-03-2004, 04:20 AM
I think you'll find the following web site useful:
http://www.ssiamerica.com

I'm considering a pair of 20 Gigabyte units, one for my 528 and a second for my daughter's 318ti. Seems like a well-thought-out solution, but I have yet to hear any feedback from someone who has actually installed one of their products.

CMM83
08-10-2004, 07:20 PM
I'll try to make another more detailed post later this evening when I am at home.

I hooked up ipod up to my '98 ti. I have a Blaupunkt Orlando HU with the optional aux in cable. First, I bought one of those belkin ipod car kit harnesses and tore it down. I hardwired it to the power/ground of the HU. Then I attached RCA cables to what was left that connect to the Aux in on my HU.
I fed the cable that connects to the bottom of my ipod through a slot in the back of my console above the little cubby/below the ac controls.
I bought a cell phone holder to stick my ipod in while driving.

So what I have is a single cord coming out of the dash that both powers/charges the ipod and provides the audio connection. The cord powers on/off with the HU.

When I don't want to use it the cord stashes nicely in the little cubby.

If you didn't care about using the mp3 players batteries or not you could probably just get one of those cords that go from RCA to a headphone jack and that would simplify things (looks like that is what you were looking for based on the original post).

I am, however, getting noise whenever I connect my ipod. Sometimes I get an annoying alternator whine and sometimes it is just a low static type noise.

I'm going to try hooking up a ground loop isolator or similar device and see if that fixes my problem.

tipsyaj
09-11-2004, 04:42 AM
I heard that the heating strips in the windows is the cause of the interference for ipods ... I was told that it's tough to have an ipod in a German car ... same thing happened to me, really frusterating ... so I looked around and got a brand new Kenwood Music Keg for $130 (and an FM modulator with ID3 tag viewer for $25!!) .... This is the way to go ... you never have to worry about batteries, no worries about cords everywhere, and the program that you use to organize your music library beats itunes hands down. I'm pretty anal about keeping my mp3's organized (I've got around 80GB worth, don't tell the RIAA), this program was amazing ... easy interface and great organization ... it installs just like a CD changer. I just put a month's worth of the Howard Stern Show tonight... I can't wait to start listening on my way to work tomorrow...

DigbyT
09-13-2004, 01:55 AM
John, I've got an SSI hard drive based mp3 player, and I've had nothing but problems with it. At this point, the firm ware is corrupted, and SSI refuses to do anything about it. Thier only answer is to purchase a new model. Almost as bad as Apple and thier BS ipod batteries. Sony makes a very nice head unit with a built in 20g hard drive as well as 802.11b wireless. That way after you put the bulk of your music on the drive locally at your computer, you can update the car hard drive wirelessly. They're not cheap, but they are an elegant and very functional solution.