PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about buying a 318ti...

BMWPOWER
08-02-2004, 04:26 AM
I pretty much totalled the 1999 Chevy Malibu that my parents bought me for High School and College use. I got rear ended by a Dodge Ram that must have been going 50MPH+. I didn't like the car anyway.

The woman who crashed into me will have her insurance will pay me about $9000 so I can replace the car.

So I've been thinking about getting a 1996-1999 BMW 318ti.

So should I? This question is directed to anyone that owns one. I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the car.

Thank you.

1996 328ti
08-02-2004, 04:31 AM
I think most of us own one. :8-)
Personally I like the style and handling of the Sport model over the base and active.
Better seats, slightly better suspension.

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper S and a 1996 328ti.
If we had to get rid of the Mini I would not be as heart broken as if I lost my ti.

BMWPOWER
08-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Yeah, if I buy one I'll definately get one with the sport package. It would also be cool if I could find one with the M3 package as well.

So you have a 328ti? I'm assuming you mean you did an engine swap, right? That is awesome, that thing must haul ass.

1996 328ti
08-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Any 95 Club Sport or 96-99 Sport will have the M-technic trim.

Previous owner did the engine conversion. I couldn't go back to a 4 cylinder every again. :)

BMWPOWER
08-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Oh, so all 96-99 318ti's with the sport package have the M3 trim. Good to know. Now I just have find one, they aren't exactly the easiest cars to find.

How much did you pay for yours? And do you know how much it would cost to put an M3 motor into a 318ti? That would be something that I'd want to do sometime if I get one.

1996 328ti
08-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Cost for a ti varies across the country and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the price. I've seen them high and low.

I don't know how much it would cost to do a conversion. The previous owner paid around $8000 for a 2.8. A cheaper route is to install a Downing Atlanta Supercharger.

If you really want an ti with a M3 motor, wait until one is for sale.

BMWPOWER
08-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Downing Atlanta Supercharger, huh. I think I'm going to do some research on that.

I don't have any doubt that the 318ti handles wonderfully because everything I've read about the car says that. But I know I'll want the car to accelerate better and have more power. I know that little 1.9 liter engine isn't gonna be enough for me.

CMM83
08-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I've had my ti for about 4-5 months now. I came out of a '93 Miata.

The Miata was much more fun to drive, and had a better gearbox, but I do love my '98 ti. It is slim pickings for a sporty affordable rwd hatch. There is a ton of room in the car when you drop the rear seats. I'm happy with the stock engine for now. Could use a little more zip, but is strong enough for me. I think it has a really great exhaust note for a 4 cylinder as well (especially coming out of that poor excuse for a factory exhaust pipe). I wish the gearbox was a little more precise though. short shifter may be a future mod. I definately need to upgrade my suspension. The car is still fun to drive, but there is definately some body roll (mind you I do NOT have the sport package). I do like the steering though...does not feel too light and is pretty direct.
I think the seats in mine are pretty terrible (i'm sure they are much better in the sport package). The stock sound system is beyond terrible (It's a 10 speaker system, it must be good, right?....psh). Maybe that is not completely fair. The mids and highs are ok. Absolutely no lows at all though. I have a couple little nit picky things about the cockpit as well.

All in all I really like the car. No regrets here. As you can see though I have some work to do before I'm completely satisfied with my ride.

Never driven a Malibu, but I'd imagine you would like a ti more.

Just fyi...I got my base '98 with 120k miles for $6k. Looks to be in pristine condition.

brucelee
08-12-2004, 02:59 PM
First mod for me was to swap in a M3 shifter. Great change for very little dough. Larger wheels lower profile tires are next. Car is very good all arounder with tons of room.

And not everyone has one either.

DCSean8
08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I just got my '99 ti about two months ago, and I absolutely love it. Granted my last car was a 1986 Audi 5000s which was in horrible condition (in other words, anything would have been an improvement), but I fell in love with my new car right away. I payed 11,500 for this car (which had 50,000 miles and is in great shape) which came with the M trim, M suspension, M steering wheel, and M breaks. Oh and also, a California sun roof which is absolutely amazing. My advice to you: Look on ebay for good deals, thats where I got mine.

"First mod for me was to swap in a M3 shifter. Great change for very little dough." - Bruce Lee

Was this a full transmission swap? Or was it just the shifter? If it was the whole transmission, how much did it cost and how hard was it to do?

1996 328ti
08-13-2004, 01:53 AM
A short shifter is just a different lever.

M3 breaks? Ahh, brakes? I don't think so. They are the normal vented ones in the 325/328 and starting MY98 unless the previous owner upgraded them.

brucelee
08-13-2004, 03:04 AM
"Was this a full transmission swap? Or was it just the shifter? If it was the whole transmission, how much did it cost and how hard was it to do?"

Just the shifter, which made the trans feel like new (I used Mobil One ATF too) and transformed the shifting experience.

The unit cost me about $60 (I am a dealer) and the install at BMW was about $100.

You can do this somewhat easily if you are mechanical.

Highly recommended!

RAiMA
08-13-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm on my 2nd Compact, out of 3 x E36 BMWs :)

Very practical if you don't need to carry people around that often :)

NickB
09-17-2004, 04:34 PM
BMWPOWER, I may be willing to part with my 96 318ti' m-sport.

email me at nbohmer@charter.net for more info.

Pics and info can be found here

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/688990

Tyler
09-17-2004, 05:53 PM
I bought mine in 2001,it's a 98 ti i got it with 35k miles and paid about 16k for it. I'm happy with mine. Only thing major that was replaced was the cat thank god it was covered under warranty. Other than that the car rides nice,it is small on the inside but i don't drive anyone around so thats fine. In a couple of months i plan to buy DASC and get new rims and new exhaust.

Does anyone know of a good exhaust that would sound good on an automatic? Nothing to loud but louder than the stock. Send me a pm if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Tyler