PDA

View Full Version : no tag, what ratio

petemc53555
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM
There is a used LSD on my local craigslist that was in a crashed ?'86 325ES.
There is no tag anywhere on the diff. How can I tell the ratio, and if it is indeed a LSD?

Bluebimma
02-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Chek it out in person and count the teeth on the gears, or slowly rotate it to calculate it's ratio. Otherwise look it up online. It's likely a 2.73.

cooljess76
02-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Spin the input flange by hand and count how many times it takes for the output flanges to make one complete rotation. You can tell if it's LSD if it has an "S" painted on top of the housing. Sometimes they get rusty or covered with grime and you can't see the "S". So the best way to tell is by spinning one of the OUTPUT flanges and note the direction that the other OUTPUT flange rotates. If it rotates in the SAME direction as the one you're turning by hand, it's a LSD. If it rotates in the opposite direction, it's an open diff. Don't get confused though, if you spin the input flange, both output flanges WILL rotate in the same direction, so MAKE SURE you're turning the OUTPUT flange not the input flange.

bullmand
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
If you can get the seller to give you the last seven digits of the VIN you can dump that into realoem.com and it will tell you. The parts listing for the diffs tells you the ratio in the supplement field. It looks like it's probably 2.93 and may have a 25% lock-up limited slip.

pi4ovete_84
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
When you switch from open to limited slip dif , do you feel a big diference in accelerating or it helps only when you r making sharp turns? If I install lsd will this make the asc+t not to work? tnx

pdxmotorhead
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
It raised the amount of relative power you can put down so there is a increase in accelleration if you at teh traction limit of the right tire.

The ASC will work, but it will anti lock BOTH rear wheels if either side needs it. So it slightly reduces braking in the rear, but it should not cause any un manageable problems.

Dave

petemc53555
02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks all, I'll spin that OUTPUT flange 2 nite!

petemc53555
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
search