PDA

View Full Version : M3 or other engine into 318ti

first_bmw
08-03-2004, 08:30 PM
So I read all the post about the various kinds of swaps, and forced Induction.

Questions...

Nobody ever spoke of the difference in swaps using an Auto tranny vs.
the manual ones. My tranny is an automatic, and my car has 143,xxx
on it but runs like a dream !!!

Little old lady driven all of its life, Literally !!!

I would think of the S/C fut I dont know if I would do that with a
high milage engine....

Then again I could probally get a low milage stock engine fairly cheap
and then the s/c ?! right ?!?

Any thoughts ?!!?

thanks in advance

-Robb.

1996 328ti
08-04-2004, 12:44 AM
I think I would sooner sell the automatic and find one with a manual.

As far as engines go, a 2.8 would probably be the same install as an 3.2 in an OBD-II car.
There are very few times I wish I had an M motor. Only at some Porsche driving schools. The 2.8 chipped and a CAI is plenty. If you did a 2.8 I would probably suggest an aluminum block.

People will differ on this but I think if you do an engine conversion you also need to replace the tranny and diff.

It all comes down to money.

first_bmw
08-04-2004, 11:54 PM
So....

The 2.8's are all the 328 series, right ?!?

I would hate to sell my car... I love it, Love it.. and it was recently sideswiped and I paid to have the whole side replaced, so now i have like 2grand more into it... its flawless though...

so Noone uses a 2.8 with and auto ?!?

thanks..

Is it possible ?!?

-

gooten1
10-11-2004, 06:02 PM
I drove a Z3 with the 2.8 L 6 cylinder and an Automatic tranny today. Gawd that was fun. I got that traction control module activated once, but not to the point of reducing power, just so it slowed down the sliding wheel. So I now want the 2.8 L.
My car is manual, would the 2.8L bolt on to the 1.9 tranny? (My engine is the M44) Also, where would I look to find an engine?

maurolin
10-26-2004, 06:17 PM
The difference between a 2.8 an a 3.2 is HUGE. PERIOD. No matter what anyone say, an M engine will produce more power, more torque and keep in mind the throttle response and strenght of the pistons and rods, as well as the Head.
I had a 2.8 with 56K miles, AA Software, flywheel, turbo clutch, CAI, Triflo Exhaust, fan delete mode, an dit was fster than a stock one, but was never able to take an M3. Then I got pisst off and spent a full load of money and bought a Turbo kit from Cartech. It took a month to have it installed and tunned The car was a "beast" (compared to what it used to be) but after almost $11K dollars, i was still not fully satisfied with the "pull". I wanted to be buried on the seat!
so I upped the boost and.. ooops... there it goes the engine... (AFTR ONLY 700 MILES!!!) Oh well I gave up the turbo project and sold it. with that money I bought me a fresh M3 S52 and slapped in the cabrio. got some mods and software, and the car felt SO MUCH better. and RELIABLE!
but I wanted more! so My mechanics engeneered me a direct port nitrous sytem that required 100+ octane gas in a separate fuel cell to run normal. GOSH!! I finally got pushed Hard on my seat!. now THAT was a Beast!. running 13.02 secs on the 1/4mile (for a cabrio!) with a 1.83 on the 60 foot.
There was NO N/A E36 or E46 M3 that could beat me!. and last May leaving the Walmart P. Lot... Lady on an SUV crossing the p. lanes totalled it. =(
So I sold it all and wanted a fresh start... I bought a 1995 318Ti. a Theft recovery vehicle from an auction! had no fenders, no hood, no front bumpers lights etc. Motor had 88K interior was complete and PERFECT. $1200 hehe. YUP!
Bought another fresh 3.2L, Converted it to OBD1, Flywheel, turbo clutch, HFM, Fan delete mode, Headders, Triflo exhaust, AA Software CAI, and by far, it is the fastest NA with bolt ons I've had. SC comes next. This one I want to keep for a while! so if you want an ADVISE!!!!! 3.2L M3 engine is the BEST way to go!!!. I have a guy that deals with FRESH Under 50K mile engines and trannis for about $4000