PDA

View Full Version : WTB Ti Roll bar. Prefer. BOLT ON

maurolin
08-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Where can I get a Roll bar?? anyone have one??
can someone point me to the company that makes them>?

1996 328ti
08-06-2004, 03:10 AM
HMS Motorsport has a nice one.
Unfortunately I can't find a thing from their website.
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com

maurolin
08-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks!! I will check it out.

jpaulk
08-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Its under track and safety then go to roll bars hms.
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store.php?m=18&sub=571&method=cat

carloselloconyc
08-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys for posting up that website. It is great it has everything, especially racing dynamics wich i couldnt find anywhere. thanks guys

tborr2
08-31-2004, 10:53 PM
so does this mean the coupe/sedan rollbars work in the TI then?

RAiMA
09-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Nope, different roll bars. Make sure they're adjustable so the car can be dialed for more understeer or understeer for the perfect neutral balance.

RAJ
10-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Go to I/O Port Racing - I used there normal, 2door 318 unit. roughly $700

RAJ
10-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Oh, A custom cage will save your life best... but more$$$ might be required

tborr2
10-16-2004, 02:19 AM
RAJ- did you have any problems fitting the 2 door cage into your car??

RAJ
10-17-2004, 05:13 PM
None what so ever. Not all the holes are drilled in the "bolt in" kit. I drilled for the side rails after install.. so i could remove them later if needed- like to remove the seats or something. At all the joints, there is an additional sleeve that is to be drilled once all pieces are in place- you drill the sleeve ..all the way through to the cage tubes. I instead decided to tack weld all the pieces together to ensure proper positioning. after all position of forward/backward/ left & right, I marked the floor foor drilling for the mounting bolts. I also used sealer on the bottom side plates to prevent an water or corrosing( then went over with undercoating at the end of the project).

Then I welded it all- I welded the sleeves to the cage. Then of course wrapped all the places my body could hit with the padding.

IT really improved the rigidity of the car. I suppose the hardest part was the rear wheel well points. Sliding them on to the cage was tedieous and a pain.- they must be done in the car- after putting in the rear hoop. I suggest smoothing any rough edges on socket joints by sanding- then use much grease>> these points were almost a press-fit.

Putting this cage in with carpet would be more tricky- but don't bolt this in over the carpet- it wont end up as rigid. If i had done this, I think i would have determined the center point of the mounting tubes > made a length-wise(inline with car) cut against the rockers, next to where the cage is sitting on the carpet. Then a horizontal cut toward the tube and base plate- to center of tube. Last, used a hole saw (same size as tube) and center point. Fit the base plates through the carpet, re-align cage in car, mark floor board, drill, bolt, then work on mounting the roof bars.

if you plane to weld, remove any paint 1-1 1/2" back from all joint locations and on sleeves. tape the areas before painting cage desired color

-All seats will have to be removed first-
1> start with main hoop (behind front seats). placing it in car
2 >fit rear wheel well down tubes. drill for these later.
get the main hoop with rear bars as far back as possible- touching the wheel wells.
measure- make sure the main hoop is equal distance on both sides from the sides of the car @ floor.. and equall on both sides from the back seat section.-about 2 1/2" on my car from seat/gas tank area.
3 >put in front tubes- in this case, the over door tube is the same as the front down tube. for reference, the front tubes end up about 3/8 - 1/2" from the dash.
4 >be sure you slid the sleeves on. slide them over the joint.
5> check fitment of the roof tube over windshield- move door tubes inward equally until the roof tube touches the the door/dash tubes. slide the sleevs over the joint- rotate the pointed center until it is aiming foward.
6> if you like everything tack it all into place -- then either drill or weld all together- skip from side to side doing same locations after each other-- so no twisting or weird wandering happens.

I mounted the main rear hoop fitted with rear wheel well bars first- mounting it to the floor- I did this so I had a secure reference for all other points.
Maybe others have more ideas.. and suggestions. This worked well for me.
The fitment of the cage was decent for a kit. plenty of room for sunroof cars (specify this when ordering)

tborr2
10-18-2004, 06:40 AM
thanks man.... nice write up!!

RAJ
10-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks- i tried. One other thing though- The carpet in the TI is THICK. if i remember right, about 3 1/2" in places. I left my carpet out.

maurolin
10-26-2004, 06:44 PM
so this means I can use a 2 door rollbar WITHOUT modifiying it and it will bolt onto my little **** basket? Where else can I buy a rollbar? HMS... anyone else?

1996 328ti
10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
I believe HMS is the only one who sells this one.
Tack welding the bolts are a good idea.

bmwracefan
10-31-2004, 03:12 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2498177228&category=6755&sspagename=WDVW

maurolin
11-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks!!!! SO MUCH!! I got it for $212!!! what a deal!

now.... how do I install the damn thing!????

bmwracefan
11-14-2004, 12:44 AM
That was my origional roll bar before the cage. Sold it to a guy that totaled his ti before he could install it.