PDA

View Full Version : Restoring that new tire glimmer

Sirius600
08-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Ever since i bought my bimmer, the tires were a nothing but a flat black ring. Ive tried scrubing them during several car washes and layering on the Armor-All to no avail. Any ideas how to get that showroom glassy black shine?

tastade
08-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Buy that tire foam or gel they sell at any auto parts store or major discount store. It will come in a spray can or a spray bottle. It runs about $3 a can. Read the directions on the can/container for use. It usually only lasts a few weeks or so. Some of the gels will last longer.

Sirius600
08-17-2004, 12:51 AM
tried the spray foam, it makes the tire brighter, but not shinny

maybe if i try a cleaner and scrub the tires before application?

tastade
08-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Maybe try one of the gels, they actually put a coating on the tire that might make it shinier. I haven't needed to scrub the tires before to get a wet look. Try a different brand as well, some are much better than others.

ddiorio1313
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Why do you want that shine on your tires anyway. All it does is attract dust. Unless you are actually showing the car I wouldn't use it. I have heard of some side effects of using that stuff anyway. I heard some brands actually can eat through the rubber and cause it to crack or wear improper...that could just be an urban legend though. If anything I would use a tire/rubber cream which doesn't make it shiny but conditions the rubber and gives it a deeper black color. I typically use westely bleach white on the side wall of my car's tires it gets rid of any of the oxidation that forms on the tire and brings it back to factory black. Plus, there isn't any left over residue to attract dust. Follow that up with some rubber conditioner and you should a nice factory black...

Sirius600
08-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Westely bleach? Never heard of it. Is it something I can pick up at Pep Boys or Kragen?

ddiorio1313
08-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah(westleys bleach white) it is common in any auto store. It was originally made for cleaning white walls and raised white letters, hence the name "Bleach White". But discovered that it cleans the tire real well and brings back closer to the factory black with a rubber conditioner you should probably get the results you want. When I use the bleach white I use a separate bucket and sponge for cleaning the tire this way I don't get any of the bleach white on the paint...I don't know if it this is necessary, but tire water gets so dirty anyway why would you want to use it on your car? I think it is like $6.00 I use it evertime I clean my car about once a week sometimes once every two weeks if I get real busy doing something else.