PDA

View Full Version : Buying a ti

1985mercurylynx
08-16-2004, 03:30 AM
Hello all,

I stumbled onto this forum last week. I bought a 1997 318ti today and I wanted to see if you all think I'm getting an okay deal. Here are the particulars;

1997 318ti Automatic
Sport package
sunroof
no cruise
no heated seats
super clean, excellent condition
fresh Yokohama tires
dealer serviced
silver
black leather w/grey inserts
I paid $9k

I am really jazzed about this car. I have had some fun cars in the past ('76 280z, '84 CRX, '92 SC400, '97 LS400) but I think I will like this one the best. It reminds me a little bit of my old Z car, in that it is rear-wheel drive, more of a driver's car than a hotrod, bulletproof motor, good daily driver, etc.

My questions for anyone who has time to answer:

1) What do you like the best about your 318?
2) What annoys you the most?
3) Where does it rank among your favorite vehicles?

Also, does anyone know how much time/effort to put in a tilt wheel (is it even feasable)? That's about all for now.

1996 328ti
08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
It is possible to install tilt steering. I recall seeing a writeup somewhere. But with proper seat position you won't miss it.

The engines are good. Never drove an automatic though.
I love how much crap I can stuff in the car. If I lost our Mini, I would not be heartbroken. If something happened to the ti, I'd have to get another one. This is my 2nd ti.

Price is subjective. I've seen all cars high and low. If you are happy with 9K, don't look back.

1985mercurylynx
08-16-2004, 04:26 PM
I hadn't thought about the seat positioning. I usually drive my other cars with the wheel all the way in my lap, but I will try playing with the seat instead. What a cool car though. Maybe its just my initial crush, but I think they look better than the 3-series coupes.

DCSean8
08-16-2004, 05:57 PM
1. My favorite part about the car is the California sun roof
2. The part that annoys me the most is the slow acceleration on stock tis
3. never really thought about it...

1996 328ti
08-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I hadn't thought about the seat positioning. I usually drive my other cars with the wheel all the way in my lap, but I will try playing with the seat instead. What a cool car though. Maybe its just my initial crush, but I think they look better than the 3-series coupes.
The ti is a love it or hate it car.
Many people trash it and most of us couldn't care less if other people don't like it. I read negative posts on other BMW boards and I expect trashing on non-BMW boards. Few of these people every drove one.

I like that I don't see many on the road.
The are becoming more popular since their are less E30s out there.
The ti is the best of both worlds. I like the E30 suspension and simple dash. Some people don't. That is why my license plate is FUN2DRV. ;)

2ndBimmer
08-17-2004, 12:38 AM
"I like the E30 suspension and simple dash. "

Ergonomics is dead!
Long live Ergonomics!

These billion button cars are ludicrous. Give me something simple, precise, and effective... like the dash of a Ti!!!

Turo
08-17-2004, 09:13 PM
As Steve said, don't look back, just enjoy the ride; it was a good deal.

1. The ti has character - unlike most generic mass production mobiles or monster SUV's that fill the roads here. It's also a fine piece of engineering. It also has the potential to improve your social life:)

2. Insurace bill is a killer. Engine little short of low end torque, but that's easily compensated by your driving technique (with a 5-speed).

3. This is the cutest little car that I have ever owned. Will never sell it.

1985mercurylynx
08-18-2004, 04:10 AM
yeah, regarding insurance...

Is anyone getting a good deal on insurance for this car? Does any company treat it as less of a sports car for underwriting purposes? Does anyone know which category the ti is in?

I agree with you. This car rocks.

Super Phil
08-18-2004, 05:18 AM
I just got a 96ti, and I think it's awesome. I've been pretty much exclusively driving Firebirds for the last 10 years, but now they don't make them anymore.

Yeah, they're pretty weak down low, but they handle incredibly. What I like is that you can get a high quality, upscale car for a good price. I wish they had more torque....going from 300 ft. lbs. to 133 ft. lbs. is quite a difference.

So far I'm loving it!

Nelly_318ti
08-18-2004, 06:18 AM
I found one off an online posting. it is a 1995 318ti with 82k mileage on it. Getting it for $4000. It is green, if I do buy it I might consider repainting it to a Subaru WRX's blue color. What color do you all like best?

Automatic
moonroof/sunroof (what's the difference?)
leather seats
BMW rims not hubcaps
cruise control
factory cd changer mount on left side of trunk

Think it is worth it? He say it is the Sport version. How can I tell it is the sports or Base or Active?

Can't wait til I drive it, my first car! :joy:

2ndBimmer
08-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Nelly, whats the VIN on that?

Nelly_318ti
08-19-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, peeps, I guess I won't be a frequent here.The guy said he got somebody else who is paying him $4500 for it.I couldn't top it. So much for a Bimmer for a first car. I really liked the 318ti. From what I see, it is a rare car compared to the more popular 323. And I am a big fan of hatchback, except for those econo-box car (metro, mazda 323).

Good on gas! So disappointed! :sniff:

1996 328ti
08-19-2004, 04:36 AM
There are people always selling ti's. Just wait until you find the one you want.

bimmerboi318
08-19-2004, 04:51 AM
i agree. i scope out ebay very often. not so much for my own purchases, but to see what people are still paying for ti's. and its a pretty broad range. there is one out there PERFECT for you :)

Nelly_318ti
08-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Hey peeps!

I got the car I got it for $4300, as the guy who was supposed to buy it for $4500 never came through with the money.:icon_clap So I got it! I'll take some picture to post. But unfortunately I don't have insurance yet, so it is sitting in my driveway. :frown:

robcarync
08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
favorite thing : it is fun to drive....really FUN

worst thing : i dont know much about cars, so when it needs fixing, it costs a lot....and lately my car has been having some problems :(

this is definently the top car ive ever driven. this is the car i drive most often, but ive driven my moms camry, my dads tacoma, my sisters altima, my grand pops silverado, my uncles john deer tractor (he lives in mississippi...hes a farmer), and ive driven my friends camry. this is definenly the most fun car ever.

Rhys
08-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi folks,
Just bought my 3rd BM (last 2 were E30's)
318ti Auto. boston green, silver grey leather all the toys except air con (not too bothered) just clocked 49K miles.
Has more horses than my 320i 6 cylinder but not as smooth (but who cares, it shifts and sounds pretty nice in sports mode) You don't feel like you're doing 90..
Cost £4000 (not sure of exchange rate into $)
Verdict so far.. Love it!!!
Hope you don't mind this link to the BMW car club in GB (http://www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk) check it out its a good laugh.

1985mercurylynx
08-22-2004, 03:57 AM
Congratulations on your new car, Nelly.

Nelly_318ti
08-22-2004, 06:23 AM
I got insurance rate from Geico, pretty good! What can I do to make the car more peppy? It seem a bit sluggish compared to other small car I have driven before. I LOVE my first bimmer, just didn't know it has a small engine, I only know about the look of the car, didn't know about the spec. I test drive it and didn't want to step on it in front of the previous owner, or he will think "what an ass, driving my car like that!?"

Now that I have driven it, It is something I'll enjoy driving, just want it to be a bit more exiciting! :mrhappy:

deci
08-27-2004, 10:26 PM
mmm sounds like a good deal. just get it checked by a mechanic first before you buy it. if he finds anything wrong (mainly probably leaks and stuff) you can still buy it but negotiate a lower price due to you having to get the found problems fixed.

i would try to find a manual if you really can though. the manual transmission is a lot more reliable in this car from what i've read. also manual is definately more fun to drive (i learned stick on my ti and i definately don't want to buy another automatic again)

as for insurance...

um i'm 24 and i get pretty cheap insurance on my ti from esurance.com

i just got them and don't really have a review of how good they are as an insurance company except to say that they are the cheapest i found and you can get insured online in like 15 minutes.

i pay about $360 for 6 months on my insurance right now (thats not comprehensive ofcourse)

another cheap company to go with is definately state farm.

Nelly_318ti
08-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Ah! So cool! Over the weekend I took the car for a spin on the highway. What a thrill! I have the sunroof open with all my windows rolled down, doing 55 on the Belt and it felt like I am going much faster than 65mph. Maybe it is the feeling of having a first car! I'm loving every moment with my ride.

Man, New York City really got high insurance no doubt!!! :twisted: I am paying 1000 for 6months for liabilities only too! And I got it from Geico too! Supposedly they are to be the cheapest in the city!

Yea, I wanted to drive a manual, I drove my friend's 97 Eclipse manual. It was cool! Didn't stall the engine the on the first time behind the wheel! I was looking to buy a manual car at first, but I fell in love with the 318ti. Now I see one on E-Bay a 98 318ti manual too! I think I should have waited, but then I didn't have that amount to spend anyway.

Wat kind of light modification can I do to make the car better? I am new to car's mechanical and technical part. So I am willing to learn. :wave:

Lata :wave:

2ndBimmer
08-31-2004, 12:35 AM
Yes, insurance on a BMW for a young male driver is excessive.

Im 22 and on my fathers policy (still) Im paying ~$550 every 6 months.

Mtec97caliTi
08-31-2004, 10:22 AM
I just picked up a Ti today, and was very surprised to find out just how little insurance was going to be. Full coverage, thru State Farm (im 24 under my parent's policy) is only $347 for 6mos.! Anyways, I am happy to have found this site- since it will be nice to be in contact with other Ti owners. Just in case you cared, my car is:
1997 318ti
Black on Black half leather
111k miles
5spd.
M-sports pkg.
California Roof
no cruise
no heated seats
17" staggered Contours
:censored:

Thats all for now, I can't wait to mod the car. Just curious, any other Northern California Ti people on here? :D