PDA

View Full Version : want black wheels but don't have the money

///m-power
04-10-2011, 05:25 AM
so should i paint my wheels black? heres a pic of em, if so, glossy or matte? http://www.xrims.com/imgs/dynamic/mags/big/Rim_1_1.jpg

pdxmotorhead
04-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Youll have to scuff the clearcoat. Then if you use POR-15 primer and Black overcoat (Both brush-able self leveling paint if done carefully.) Should look very good. The POR-15 comes in High Gloss, Matt and a Color called cast-iron that's for exhaust manifolds but I've been thinking lately it could have other uses.

Note, this paint goes a LONG LONG ways, a pint would probably do ya... of primer and overcoat. ITs seriously tough, only use it if you NEVER want to take it off.

Don't Open the can, use 2 self tapping large screws, put 1 in the lid at the edge and 1 on the side about 1/4 in blow the rim. If even 1 drop gets on the groove for the lid and you put it back on it will only come off with a can opener. The screws allow you to pour some out replace the screws and when you need more take the screws out and pour, very simple... :)

Dave

John_in_VA
04-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Leave them silver. Black wheels just look dirty, to me.

Junk
04-10-2011, 09:03 AM
I had some DS2's coated dark metallic gray semi-gloss and they are too glossy to me. I'm thinking satin might be the right finish..

the wheels you have, I like them stock.

Bluebimma
04-10-2011, 03:39 PM
The stock rims would look like crap painted black. Also, removing the tires is the best way to paint rims, dont paint unless you plan to remove them.

pdxmotorhead
04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I've seen a couple sets of these done powdercoat instead of the argent factory silver looked better or at least different, My 95 has the 10 spokes, that I think could be done in a Empi gold and silver but I'm too cheap... LOL, besides I want 17" wheels wish the 10 spokes came in 17!

Dave

roadrash
04-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Paint them black? Meh. Chrome is the new black.

cherrmann
05-16-2011, 05:19 AM
So I was in the same position that you were in, I decided to do it I risked it. The wheels had some curb rash, and a few scratches but cleaning them and scuffing them took care of it.