PDA

View Full Version : need advice

97318ti
08-27-2004, 11:26 PM
i'm looking into doing an engine sawp and i'm in need of help. i want to put a 3.2l m3 engine in my '97ti and i was wondering what all needs to be done for it to work. also open for any ideas or comments anybody may have.
thanks,
chris

J!m
08-28-2004, 03:00 PM
I could do it for you, but you are a bit far from my shop...

1996 328ti
08-28-2004, 03:12 PM
i'm looking into doing an engine sawp and i'm in need of help. i want to put a 3.2l m3 engine in my '97ti and i was wondering what all needs to be done for it to work. also open for any ideas or comments anybody may have.
thanks,
chris

After the engine there is also the transmission, driveshaft, I still recommend a larger diff. There is the wiring harness, the instrument cluster, exhaust. There is the realignment of the EWS <I think>.

J!m, maybe you can make a checklist and place it in the articles section.
This seems to come up fairly often. ;)

Tyler
08-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I'd suggest a Downing Atlanta supercharger,because your going to have to do alot of modifuications if you swap engines. The supercharger will give you about 215hp. It's alot cheaper than doping an engine swap.

Nelly_318ti
08-28-2004, 09:16 PM
So a Downing supercharger is not one of those turbos where you gotta wait for it to build up? So you get the added HP starting from 0mph? 215 horses = faster acceleration right? as compared to the stock 138 horses. Am I right?

I would definitely get my hand on one of these then!

97318ti
08-29-2004, 12:20 AM
tyler do you know where i would be able to find a downing supercharger and about how much it would cost if i do the install myself?

Tyler
09-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Go to www.downingatlanta.com they cost about $3,300 and you could probally install it yourself in about 6-8 hours. Or pay a mechanic and he could do it in 4. I haven't got one yet but i plan on doing so in a couple of months.

2ndBimmer
09-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Im in the process of buying one now. :pistols:

RAJ
10-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Nelly_318ti >>> Superchargers have little or No Lag because they are belt driven(most Common) or direct-drive off the crank (rare)- the engine is always turning= so the charger is always ON... makes boost right off line. Turbo has lag more often than not since the turbo has to wait for exhaust pressure to push the impeller to spool up ...creating boost. lots of tricks for both for improved performance off the line... or sudden change in throttle. smaller turbo = less lag= quick spool, but lower boost capacity. Bigger turbo= more lag on smaller engine= slow spool up, but greater boost capicity- My turbo philosophy= little big, smaller turbo flange=exhaust Velocity> adjustable wastegate> purge excess boost sooner.. But still Run IT like You Stole IT.
My Blower Philosophy- optimum size charger> smaller pulley> copper head gasket> blowoff valve on manifold> Floor IT until you see GOD

maurolin
10-26-2004, 06:30 PM
a 3.2L swap is not really that complicated.
Engine fits right in, if you have a 5 speed tranny it bolts righ on, and you can keep your drive shaft and diff. Now if you have an Auto, you need to swap the drive shaft for a manual trans. one.
When you buy the engine make sure that you get the DME, EWS modules, and the key. This way you can swap the chip on YOUR key and the car will start.
You need the Fuel pump (easy replacement) you need to replace your f. sway bar, and move the battery to the back to leave space for the manifold air pump.
The cluster should be changed (because your RPM's will read wrong with the 318 cluster).
A downing atlanta SC is a great way to go, but you are pushing the little 4 bangger to the max to produce the power a 3.2L can produce with no harm.