PDA

View Full Version : M44 with no Ignition

Remedialmofo
07-16-2011, 04:41 AM
The problem started several months ago when I would be driving and the car would cut out and hit a brick wall. After pulling over with no dash lights on, the car would fire in 20 mins or so after sputtering twice here and there. Then it got to a point where it would crank and not start at the beginning of my day. And again 20min of on and off again cranking would bring it back to life. It finally got to a point where no amount of cranking would start it one morning. I haven't been able to check fuel pressure as my gauge is 40min away and I'm without transportation. So I started with the 180k coil pack. Pulled a boot and used my tester and found no spark was reaching the plug. I then ordered a Bosch coil pack and installed it yesterday when it arrived. Nope that wasn't it lol still no spark. I needed it anyway as mine was on the to do list but it drained my account and I'm poor now :frown:. I'm wanting to purchase a crankshaft sensor since I've read if that's bad it will tell the ECM not to fire the coil. I should scrape up what little I have left after loosing my job and purchase a camshaft sensor while I'm at it and the upper intake is off. But I've never heard of a faulty camshaft sensor not allowing the engine to fire???? Starting fluid up the TB will not fire the engine either, so this can't be a fuel issue???? All of the related parts have been changed out with OE replacements...fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, fuel lines, coil pack, spark plug wires and spark plugs. The fuel pressure regulator was swapped with an old used one and I can't be for sure of it's operational condition. Since I'm low on funds I'd like to test both crankshaft and camshaft sensors with my amp meter. I will admit I need to be walked through it. Should I be going a different direction????

Update: Crankshaft sensor is out. Volt-ohm meter in hand, anybody know of a way to test it???

Bluebimma
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I have some extra sensors laying around if youre in need...sucks losing a job and having car issues.

Sounded like a fuel pump issue first, but if its new, then thats not the issue. Cam and crank sensors are common on a lot of engines including ours, for falling faulty. Cam position sensor is set in line with the injector circuit, so if it fails, no fuel, crank is set in line with fuel and ignition, so if it fails, you get neither.

Could also be that your engine ground is loose, not connected, or corroded causing poor ground.

xxxJohnBoyxxx
07-16-2011, 03:56 PM
You stated no dash lights when this issue happens. Kind of like you are loosing all power to your dash when this issue happens.

Is this correct?