PDA

View Full Version : About Bmw Enthusiast's Companion?

oberon
09-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a ti and a Bmw Enthusiast's Companion book.
I check on amazon, and there are two books. I am wondering which one should I get?
The Bmw Enthusiast's Companion
or BMW 3 Series Enthusiast's Companion?

I've learned a lot from this forum. If I have chance to get a ti, I'll come back and share with you.

Thanks in advance.

oberon
09-10-2004, 11:57 PM
well, since I can't delete the thread, I'll response this by myself. after read more previous articles and amazon reviews, I guess the bmw enthusiast's companion is better than the 3-series one.

hotdog19d
09-11-2004, 02:44 AM
I have the bmws companion, pretty good, but I was looking forward to buying the 3-series companion as well. I want a book that is 3-series focused. I know they're both really good.

oberon
09-11-2004, 04:32 AM
hi hotdog,

Hope we can hear your sharing about the cons and pros of both of these two books.

Phil Marx
09-11-2004, 05:12 AM
The BMW Enthusiasts Companion is full of such old material that when they approached me for permission to reprint some of my tech tips maybe ten years ago or more I told them they were hopelessly out of date and refused. The info all comes from Roundel but nothing newer than probably over ten years ago. Someone with the book can confirm it but I doubt it even covers the E36 at all. I don't even own a copy and could have had it for free. The Three Series Companion is much newer and even touches on the E46, but it is not even a similar book and contains no tech tips, just Jeremy's history of the Three Series up to 1999. Jeremy asked me to do the Spotter's Guide section for him because he wanted it to cover the U.S. models about which he wasn't familiar, so you know that section isn't worth the paper it's printed on! <G>

hotdog19d
09-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I can confirm what Phil says about the entusiasts companion having older information in it. I still think its a great book to have just to read in general.