PDA

View Full Version : Dash Light flicked on today

schussey
09-03-2004, 12:24 AM
While driving today, I noticed a light on my dash has flicked on. I think it means brakes.

The indicator is like a red circle, with bars on either side of the circle. Is this brakes?

This really sucks, because tomarrow I am supposed to be driving to charlotte for the weekend, about a 400 mile drive. So about 800 miles there an back...

Do you think I am ok to do this?
Any help is appreciated.

-chris

bimmerboi318
09-03-2004, 02:00 AM
yes the light means your brake wear indicator has worn out. it could be either the front or rear sensor. but if it just came on today or recently...you should have no problem going that distance. i went several months before i actually changed out my pads after my light came on first. however that was my rear sensor. the fronts might wear out faster. but you should have some time before it is absolutely necessary to do your brakes.

schussey
09-03-2004, 02:14 AM
thanks man. I'll try to get this problem fixed after labor day

schussey
09-03-2004, 02:39 AM
oh and another thing, the indicator light signal seems really weak. The light sputters on and off, and only comes on occasionally. Its strange...

bimmerboi318
09-03-2004, 02:57 AM
yeah the way the sensor is set up, when it wears through it creates an open circuit and something turns the light on. when the sensor is just about worn out, the light can flicker since the material is ALMOST gone but there might still be a small amount of sensor left. its a very simple sensor but it does the job pretty well.

800 miles shouldnt be a prob especially if its JUST wearing out.

btw i miss your chapell gallager (sp?) avatar :D

schussey
09-03-2004, 03:08 AM
haha i wasn't sure if anybody on this board understood the chappelle gallager.

- another chappelle avatar will be back shortly!

bimmerboi318
09-04-2004, 02:44 AM
ooh it's a classic. it was about the only avatar i could actually remember and put a name to. :D

gooten1
09-24-2004, 03:32 AM
yeah, i actually cut through my sensor after I changed pads and not the sensors...I have it still, hanging up where I keep my tools. A testament to following the directions.