PDA

View Full Version : Help with waterpump removal

ajemayer
09-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing the waterpump? I have all the bolts removed and can't seem to get it out of the block. Ive beat on it, pryed on it, pulled on it. I dont know what would cause it to be stuck.

tiFreak
09-22-2011, 12:16 AM
grab it with some big channel lock pliers and twist it side to side, it's just stuck on the O-ring, once you get it loose there are two threaded holes on it that you can put some bolts in and it will push the pump out. make sure you twist it out first or it will just shatter the surrounding metal when you tighten the bolts down

zoner
09-22-2011, 01:56 AM
This thread might be helpful: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066&highlight=water+pump

jca
09-22-2011, 03:34 AM
I had the same problem. Mine became a two man job. A friend put some pressure on the pump with a prybar while I continued to beat on the pump with a large hammer. Be patient and don't get too rough with it. It'll come out eventually.

ajemayer
09-22-2011, 04:51 AM
Ok, so I twisted the pump with big channel locks and tightened the screws and broke the metal surrounding the pump. Now what do I do? This is crazy how tight it is in there. Im affraid to apply leverage against the block cuz I dont want to punch a hole in it either. Thats probably not possible but ive been prying on it soo hard it broke my pry-bar.

antny
09-22-2011, 06:42 AM
I didnt have a problem in the past few weeks removing the water pump with just using the bolts in the back out slots. No cracked metal either. I have removed the damn thing 3 times. Good thing this car I actually want to get running because I have dropped about 2500 into the car and have driven it only 20 miles.

ajemayer
09-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Finally got the olld pump out, only to find the one I took out had a metal impeller. Oh well, at least I have piece of mind knowing whats in there now. Thanks everyone for all the help. Don't know what I would do without this forum.

Monolith
09-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Just for future diy'ers - WD40 aimed at the oring makes it pop right out.

jca
09-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Finally got the olld pump out, only to find the one I took out had a metal impeller. Oh well, at least I have piece of mind knowing whats in there now. Thanks everyone for all the help. Don't know what I would do without this forum.

Same thing happened to me...it's still good to change our til water pumps before they fail. Good insurance against overheating which can cost you an engine.

jca
09-29-2011, 05:08 AM
I didnt have a problem in the past few weeks removing the water pump with just using the bolts in the back out slots. No cracked metal either. I have removed the damn thing 3 times. Good thing this car I actually want to get running because I have dropped about 2500 into the car and have driven it only 20 miles.

What have you had to fix?

antny
09-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Lets see my original motor blew a headgasket, so I replaced the whole long block while replacing every single thing involved in the coolant system, chasing vaccuum leaks, new IACV new gaskets etc etc. The car was sitting for a year before I bought it and just going through the entire car to get it up and running correctly which still isnt done yet. seems like once something gets fixed another issue pops up. It is ok though I am almost there.

IgotBMW
09-30-2011, 05:53 PM
What bolts to use on the two threaded holes?

antny
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
If memory serves me correctly you can use the bolt from the timing cover