PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold swap 98 to a 91

TiPerformance
09-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Well I like to try strange things so I picked up this intake manifold pretty cheap and I am going to see if I can't make it work. If nothing else maybe the throttle body will work.

Instead of the current 2 piece manifold this one is a soild 1 piece design. It is off of a E30 1991 318is M42 engine.

Let me know what you all think, and I will post my results when I get everything ready to go.

TiPerformance
09-14-2004, 10:52 PM
For those of you who don't know the manifold on the car now looks like this.

GDB
09-15-2004, 12:22 AM
If you can get it to work, the M42 manifold will probably give you more top end power, whereas the equallength (I think it is, sure as hell looks like it) manifold would probably give better low end power.
Is there any differences is the bore of the TB's between the two engines?

TiPerformance
09-15-2004, 12:50 AM
I am not too sure yet on anything as I am still waiting for it to be shipped, but as soon as I figure something out I will post it. Yeah I am pretty sure they are equal legnth.

needle332rur
10-15-2004, 09:56 PM
as title reads e30 intake manifolds are two psc manifold. lower portion is only 3 inches long and holds injector top is what is pictured above. i was thinking of useing the lower mani and making a ITB (individual throttle body) setup. it would make for some instant throttle responce
:mrhappy:

TiPerformance
10-15-2004, 11:39 PM
yeah, I found that out when I got it, I just don't have time to mess with it all right now.

mikep
10-18-2004, 12:54 PM
My 1995 318t1, M42 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Is Working Intermittantly. I Have Ordered A New Sensor To Replace It.

It Appears That The Intake Manifold Needs To Be Removed To Gain Access To The Coolant Temp Sensor Which Is The Second Sensor Back (toward The Rear Of The Car).

Removing The Intake Mainfold Looks Like A Challange. Any Advice Would Be Appreciated.

R/ Mike P

needle332rur
10-22-2004, 10:29 PM
once you get the top manifold off from the bottom is really less overwhelming. the hardest bolt is the one that hold the top mani on the way back of the motor. use a open end wrench and keep trying you'll get it. oh yea the wireing harness is a pain too.

TiPerformance
10-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Update: I have heard from a few people that when this manifold is installed it sits too high, so more than likely I will have to carefully section the manifold and have it re-welded.
Also I ran into another little minor problem when I was testing stuff. It appears that the 98 throttle body has the Idle control valve on the throttle body it self, where the older engines had the ICV mounted else where. The 98 Throttle body will work if I fabricate a aluminum spacer block to clear the side of the manifold.

I also need to figure out how I am going to work the oil seperater system I have a few ideas, but I will have to work on it. Probably the least of my worries about this project.

Freedy
11-04-2004, 07:08 AM
longer runners = more lowend
shorter runners = more topend

with respect to intake manifolds..

bmw///m3///
11-05-2004, 07:31 AM
I really like and respect what you doing in respect to modding you car. Just wondering why you take the time to do these mods if your gonna sell your car? Not complaining, we may all benefit from your experiments/// :blahblah:

TiPerformance
11-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks, I figured I might as well keep the car for now atleast till I get out of college and get more miles on it, and then this summer when I can drive my 67 dart I will tear into it a little and play around with different things on the engine. It's paid for and I like the car so why not right.

Things are going really slow on the projects right now with me being in school taking 18 credit hours. But I did manage to pull the pinstripe, and buff and machine glaze the car last weekend, so it looks great.