PDA

View Full Version : "bitch clip" replacement?

PaulM
10-18-2011, 03:48 PM
So I'm redoing all the bushings etc in the shift linkage while replacing a questionable SSK that came in the new to me 318ti. I'm thinking of making my own replacement for the "bitch clip" AKA "bearing bolt 25111221849". I bought a replacement and found it interesting that these are made out of Aluminum. Anyway it seems to me a much easier solution would be to make a replacement pin that has a shoulder on one side and uses one of the circlips into a groove on the other (AKA "securing clip 25117571899 from real OEM).

No compelling reason aside from making future removals easier.

So my only problem is accurately measuring across the outside of the casting on the transmission where the "bitch clip" pin goes. With the limited access there is no way I can get a micrometer in there to measure it.

Here is the offer - if you have your transmission out and measure across those flats I'll make you one gratis (I'll be making it from 6061 aluminum starting with some 1/2 dia stock I happen to have). Have to decide on the possibility of leaving some clearance to use a set of the thin plastic washers on the outside.

As near as I can tell all E36 standard transmissions should have the same spacing as they use the same pin (I checked a few on realOEM including an M3) - In my case my car has a 02/95 build date.

Thanks
Paul

update 10/19 will also post this on another BMW forum.

kmsnsx
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I have an e30 tranny sitting here which uses the same part number bitch clip and the distance is 37.5 mm

PaulM
11-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks - I actually figured a close approximation out but your number is probably better. Here is a picture of the parts (I machined the bushings as well - nothing like using $10K worth of equipment to make parts that you can buy for $25;-). You can also see that the new clip design differs from the old one.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa332/Paul_Moruzzi/DSCF1739.jpg

If you want one I will still make you one per my offer.
Paul

kmsnsx
11-02-2011, 08:22 PM
That looks nice! I never understood the engineering behind the OEM part when something like you made seems easier to install/remove, probably cheaper to make, and works just as well. I've even seen some people just use a bolt with threads just on the end and double locknut. Don't feel like you need to make me one, but I will never turn away free parts :)

John_in_VA
11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Will you be selling your version?

PaulM
11-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes I will make some to sell - given all my shop equipment is manual
(fine for one off work) What I can sell them for will pay me under min wage.

Would you buy one for $20 plus shipping or $25 including shipping? that would be just for the pin. let me see if I can source commercial bushings as well. If enough people want the set up I can get the thin washers and the clip that goes on the end (these parts are the same as those used in the rest of the shift linkage) - I could then price a full solution (pin, bushings, standard thin washers 2 and standard clip)?

If a few people are interested I'll get pricing together.

Hey then I can justify more tooling to SWMBO - look I made $100 over the last 4 month, need to buy that chucker lathe for a couple thou ;-)

Paul

Shellback
11-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I've never seen those white bushings before. When I re-did my shifter, I pressed in a 1 piece black rubber unit I picked up from the dealer. Could you tell us more about it, benefits, etc.? Thanks

spidertri
11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
A bunch of companies make those white bushings. AKG, UUC, I think Turner and Bimmerworld stock them. They make the whole shifter more ridgid by not allowing the amount of flex the stock bushing has.

PaulM
11-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Dave is correct - I saw them listed at a bunch of places. So when I swapped everything out I made my own - not really cost effective when you consider your time, but I have the equipment and material on hand and its fun to make parts. The casting was not originally designed for solid bushings as there is draft (angled walls so part comes out of mold) and it is not a particularly precision surface. On the parts I made I tapered them a tiny bit to fit better. If I were to try to get more I would not machine them - I would contact igus (co that makes this type of bushing) and get a quote on a standard or custom part. - just called and it looks like the needed size is not a stock part, and at the moment it certainly does not look like it would be worth it to buy the minimum quantity of a custom part. I'll see if I can find another vendor.

Paul