PDA

View Full Version : just purchased a intake from cosmo racing

barische
09-19-2004, 02:55 AM
i just ordered short ram intake system for my bmw
it costed 80 bucks with shipping during the next week i will update u guys wihtt the results

Viper3812
01-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Any pics? How is it?

BiimerDude97
02-15-2005, 12:28 AM
hey do you have your intake installed yet? lemme know how it is if you do becuast i am interested in buying one. thanks

barische
02-15-2005, 01:50 AM
well it is a good intake system i guess, i mean the car is slightly louder now, but it sounds more healthy. also cuz ur car is 1997 u will need a air breather that u will have to install the pipe of the air pump. it was an easy installion and a perfect fitting. i say get it. it is good system for a cheap price. i have some pics on some other forum at intake section u can look at those. well i got lots of problems with the car now so i will try to get the car fixed before i start doin anymore mods.

NoahChamberlain
02-15-2005, 05:52 AM
where did you buy the cosmo intake for $80 with shipping??

BiimerDude97
02-15-2005, 05:56 AM
cosmoracing.com but its the short ram intake...not hte cold air intake

Panzer_M
02-15-2005, 07:11 AM
www.cosmosracing.com

this was the intake I thought you guys were talking about.

Dredder
02-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Here's a link for inexpensive CAI
CAI http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=165&pid=558
SHORT RAM http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=124&pid=258
SHORT RAM http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/brand.php?make=bmw&year=1995&model=318ti&partname=cold_air_intake&brand=toucan
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_parts.cfm?vpcid=948&vcatid=SSS&vcatyear=1995&vmodelid=023&vmakeid=060&vL1id=0&&vtitle=BMW%20318%201995

1996 328ti
02-15-2005, 02:48 PM
I don't know what everyone is head over heels over this.
I would recommend modding the airbox over this.
This thing just looks like eye candy and sucks in warm air.

bluebastion
02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
No offense to everybody... it is true though. Since the ti came out it's been debated whether or not it's worth getting a ram or cold air intake(with or without a heat shield).... it didn't take long for the "original" ti community to find out that this mod really doesn't do anything (that is, for our cars). It may make your car lose power (especially during the summer). I will say however that I do understand that some of you may just think it looks better... and that I do agree. I do things to my car knowing full well that it doesn't make it go faster, but just makes it look better... got carbon fiber trim all over my car (300 bucks).... and I'm about to put in a Pioneer Avic-N1 DVD, Screen, Navig, Electronic Gauges, etc...(2,000 chingies)... which if anything will make the car slower cause it's hefty... anyways.. my point is (piggybacking on what Steve said)... I hope you guys KNOW that you're not doing anything to your cars that would make a significant change in making your car faster. As long as you know, then you can't complain later if it's not what you expected. Hope this helps you all out... and not be too preachy. :rolleyes:

azs318ti
02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I slightly disagree. ALthoguh you are completly right about the look of the car nad mods, and intake does allow alot more air to be sucked inot your engine giving it a better combustion wiht air. ALthough the cosmo racing only says it has 7 hp gains, tha tis very little. Intakes on other car can gain up to 15 horses which isnt to shabby, also if oyu are planning on getting an exhaust, you def. want an intake.

1996 328ti
02-15-2005, 07:52 PM
The butt dyno is the only dyno that counts as far as I am concerned.
If you think you are gaining hp. Cool.
I have a CAI because I love the sound at WOT. :)

L84THSKY
02-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Save your money, and just fogg the box. I'm all for putting $$$$$ into my car, but this cosmo cai ain't worth your time.

Here's a link for inexpensive CAI
CAI http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=165&pid=558
SHORT RAM http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=124&pid=258
SHORT RAM http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/brand.php?make=bmw&year=1995&model=318ti&partname=cold_air_intake&brand=toucan
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_parts.cfm?vpcid=948&vcatid=SSS&vcatyear=1995&vmodelid=023&vmakeid=060&vL1id=0&&vtitle=BMW%20318%201995

BiimerDude97
02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
i was watchin the discovery channle the other day and it was some muscle car show and they put a cia on this currr and on the dyno is only gained a few HP but they said it would gain more when the car is moving becuase of higher, colder air flow

ZeroG
02-16-2005, 12:15 AM
i was watchin the discovery channle the other day and it was some muscle car show and they put a cia on this currr and on the dyno is only gained a few HP but they said it would gain more when the car is moving becuase of higher, colder air flow
Intake Air Temperature has a lot to do with it. As far as I know the Cosmo CAI does not include a cold air plate, or a plate that will spearate it from the engine compartment.

Example:

You run a 3.5 inch tube from your MAF to a 6 inch cone in your brake duct. You have an alluminum plate that separates the filter from the engine compartment. The alluminum will act as a heat sync and suck all the heat away from the filter. You all will need some place for the cold air to come from, so some kind of opening will need to exsist or be made in order to feed the intake the cold air from outside.

However, if you just have a short little pipe with a filter hanging out in the engine compartment odds are that you are actually going to lose HP. There are seveal intakes made by K&N and other companies that provide adapters and piping, but in the end they leave the filter in the engine compartment and all these kits claim a gain and actually create a loss.

bluebastion
02-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Bottom Line:
If you're doing it for the sound... go for it. If you're going for the looks... again, go for it. If you're doing it for the performance, save your money and look somewhere else. Our cars don't gain from it.

BiimerDude97
02-16-2005, 12:50 AM
what is a good mod that will make my car go faster for under $1000 or around that price

bluebastion
02-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Exhaust. Anyone, (dis)agree?

Viper3812
02-16-2005, 01:12 AM
what is a good mod that will make my car go faster for under $1000 or around that price
Probably Shrick cams

Viper3812
02-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Agree, get one. Go for Supersprint.

L84THSKY
02-16-2005, 04:00 AM
I do....that is disagree......

My bet is on the light weight flywheel. But that may not add horsepower just acceleration in the low gears.

DustenT
02-16-2005, 04:47 AM

I think the HP gains from exhaust are comparable to that of an intake. Some will say you can gain 10+ HP, but in reality it is hardly noticeable. The sound is great, but don't get an exhaust system or a CAI if you are looking for real performance.

Save your $1000, wait til you have closer to $3000 and buy a supercharger.
I personally recommend the DASC. (They should pay me for all these recommendations! :biggrin: )I know everyone wants performance for cheap, but the truth is, these cars were designed very well so it's hard (read expensive) to get more power from them. A supercharger WILL give you noticeable performance and increase the value of your car, while a CAI and some exhaust can actually lower the value of your car. I would never buy a car with a short ram intake or a universal muffler bolted on. Just my $.02. Sorry about rambling on....

Panzer_M
02-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Stromung > SuperSprint.

plus I recommend understeer.com 100%

Dredder
02-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Im going with DustEnT.....Its Tax season guys. Join the dasc groupbuy...I cant wait to put this sucka on.

L84THSKY
02-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I have the Stromung. Although I like it, it adds nothing to the performance of the car.

Stromung > SuperSprint.

plus I recommend understeer.com 100%

gooten1
02-16-2005, 06:42 PM
I support the Supersprint. I think it sounds great. (Doesn't hurt that I've got the K&N sucking air on the other end.) It looks and sounds very nice.

DustenT
02-16-2005, 09:05 PM

I agree with everyone that the exhaust systems they recommend are great. But the question is what mod will make the car go FASTER for under $1000. The exhaust will sound great and look good, but will it make the car faster? Probably not.

Cams and flywheel were recommended. While I don't have any experience with 318ti cams, I know they make a big difference on other naturally aspirated cars (Hondas come to mind). A flywheel will let the car rev faster thru the gears, which in turn COULD make the car faster. Any input from some with a lightweight flywheel would be good (AlaskaBlue?, ZeroG?).

gooten1
02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
A lightweight flywheel would indeed let the car rev quicker. You could grab some underdrive pulleys. Those will reduce drag on the engine allowing more of the power to go to the wheels instead of accesories. If you want your car to be quicker, you could remove the back seats and spare tire and various other stuff (reducing weight). That's free. My car always feels faster after a good wash and wax, too. (= I heard a while back about adjusting engine timing to put out some more power. Not sure about that one, but if ya know something I don't, lemme know.

(By the way...the supersprint does make it feel like the car's faster...)

Panzer_M
02-18-2005, 03:02 AM
for under a grand for faster?

well a custom turbo kit might be 900-1000 for a shop maybe for manifolds and a used spool. I don't know about forced induction I just am tossing this out since my boss is always telling me to boost my M44. and forget going to a six swap.

robbie-z
02-18-2005, 04:54 AM
who makes pulleys for the m44?

97Hellrot318ti
03-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Why do you have to go and take a crap in my Easter basket like that. Admittedly, I really don't know a whole lot about actual yield from various performance upgrades... but I just bought that COSMO CAI on E-Bay and installed it, haven't really gotten a chance to do much with it as far as determining if it increases performance (it looks and sounds nice though, as we've pointed out). To be honest I wasn't expecting much at all. If they say 7 I assume, naturally it will be less. But you are all talking about HP losses?? That's something I was not really prepared for... when my engine is all stock, there is not much HP I am willing to lose. And I guess, like every other stupid teenager out there, I am going for the exhaust next. People tell me that can add around 15 HP if I'm lucky, which would be welcome. Is that a bubble I should burst now as well? I was planning on the Bavauto one you see in my signature.... any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bluebastion
03-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Supersprint or Stromung... L8T4THESKY said he didn't see much performance gains in the Stromung(understeer.com),.... I, on the other hand, felt a significant difference with the Supersprint (bmpdesign.com) exhaust.... is it a big difference,... no but my car doesn't sputter like it's gasping for air in idol anymore like it used to with the stock muff. The car also seems a little bit more confident as well. However I do like the stromung sound best. :caffine: Hope that helps.

P.S. bmpdesign occasionally puts for auction on ebay remus exhausts for the TI.... might want to keep an eye out for that as well. I also think you can buy the exhaust on their website in the bargain section for less than 300. That's a steal... I mean deal.

97Hellrot318ti
03-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I noticed a welcome price difference on the Stromung Exhaust compared to the Tri-Flo one I am currently looking at... however if the performance is better with the Bavarian Autosport exhaust, I'm willing to shell out the extra cash. Everyone seems to be a fan of the Stromung here, I wonder if anyone could offer a comparison between it and the Tri-Flo? I've heard very good things from various Bimmer buffs about Bavarian Autosport, which is why I started looking there in the first place. Also I heard that their exhaust is mandrel bent, which I honestly don't really grasp, but it's supposed to be better... bleh I don't know I'm just trying to get the best exhaust for my baby. Thanks again for the suggestion though, I'm definitely going to be considering this one.

aceyx
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
when a pipe is "mandrel bent" it means that a mandrel is inserted into the pipe while it is being bent.

the mandrel is basically a ribbed gooseneck device that maintains a fairly constant diameter throughout the bend. otherwise, your pipe is (supposedly*) the effectiveness of flow through the most narrow diameter.

if you look at a pipe that's been bent (by bar or hydraulic; does not apply to rollers), you'll notice that the pipe is thinner at the bend than the rest of the diameter.

most people swear by the mandrel, but i have a creeping suspicion that more physics are at play.

jobimmer
03-03-2005, 04:08 AM
what do you mean to modd the intake box?