PDA

View Full Version : what kind of rubber is highly resistant to heat?

deci
09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
any of you guys know what kind of rubber or other substance that is soft but highly resistant to heat?

like basically i need some kind of thin (maybe 1/4 inch or 1/3 inch) material to slide inbetween my exhaust pipe and a metal body part under my car that touches it so that it doesn't make a metal rattling noise.

the material just has to be able to dampen sound (so like even wood would work) but it has to be able to withstand the heat of the exhaust piping touching it.

any ideas guys?

J!m
09-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Silicone rubber, available from MSC is about as high as you will find for rubber.

Teflon is nice because it does not melt- it goes straight to gas when heated enough. Teflon may be too soft- it can be crushed and holds it's crushed shape and may eventually eat through.

GDB
09-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Yep high temp silicone. Check out the other spot where you asked this question. I went into more details.

96cali
09-23-2004, 04:39 PM
I know the silicone typically used for baking sheets/pans and oven mitts is rated to 500 degrees or so. think this is high enough? How high does the surface temperature get?

Reminds me of my friends old Shelby 2.2 hatchback. The muffler got so hot one time it heated the floor of his truck to the point where a shoe melted. Yikes!

deci
09-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Silicone rubber... yes that should work.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Any idea where I can find a thin sheet of it (incase I can't find any RTV sealant at any stores around here)?

... omg his shoe melted? geezus I didn't know mufflers could get that hot.

J!m
09-27-2004, 11:03 PM
www.mscdirect.com

96cali
09-28-2004, 11:29 PM
... omg his shoe melted? geezus I didn't know mufflers could get that hot.

Me neither. It was a red and black puddle in the bottom of his trunk. I would not believe it if I had not seen it. Maybe his trunk liner was gone, but still...